How fast should I cut aluminum?

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC How fast should I cut aluminum?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Stephen
    Participant

I’m using my new MPCNC with a Dewalt DW660. I’m cutting aluminum 4mm thick, using passes of 0.5mm. Currently, I’m milling at 60mm/min. How fast can I go without risking anything? I don’t want to break my bit(3.175mm)

Ryan
    Keymaster

No one can tell you that, it is 100% dependent on your build size, printed parts quality, etc, type of bit, rpm….You would have to give information for someone to even ball park it, a lot of information.

The best thing to do is do test cuts, and listen very closely, it will chatter really bad before it breaks.

Use trochoidal milling on aluminum. The best way to do this is pick a speed, and an rpm and vary the depth only. You should have a look at my aluminum motor mount milling and use that as a kind of MAX speed until you are very familiar.

I used 1/8″ 2 flute end mill, .3mm DOC, 5 mm/s, 2mm/s plunge. full rpm No coolant. This was before tricoidal, you should be able to achieve better than this now but use this as a guideline, unless your build is giant and a tall z axis then good luck.

Stephen
    Participant

Thanks for your help. I have some other questions:

It’s at 30k RPM. Is this too fast? If so, where can I get a speed controller, and how much do they cost?

What about for wood? Is 30k RM too fast for it? How long can my Z section afford to be if I’m cutting a few mm of it?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Speed Control

Buy it or build it.

Did you have a look at some of my videos, some are done at full rpm and some are a bit slower, single flute endmills do work best with higher rpms. You say 30k rpms, what spindle, some have speed controller’s built in. Details of your intentions and equipment help. I was under the impression you already built it.

Size info, Asking how big it can be is not a good question. most endmills only allow for 3/4″ to 1″ of cut depth, why would you need more than that? What do you want to do with it? What materials. Unfortunately broad questions don’t get exact answers in a machine that can be configured is so many ways. Specifics help. It is kind of like asking how far and fast can you drive a car, there is no right answer to that, speed limit or car max speed, 1 tank of gas or the life of the car?

Machine Size

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.