Image2Gcode – Free Raster Image Laser Engraving Software – Modified for MPCNC

New Home Forum Software Development Image2Gcode – Free Raster Image Laser Engraving Software – Modified for MPCNC

This topic contains 286 replies, has 43 voices, and was last updated by  John 1 week ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 271 through 287 (of 287 total)
  • Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

I would scale it with an image editing program first to the dimensions you want.

Mike Carr
    Participant

Ok I must be really missing something, I set the size in Preview to 3 x 2.94 inches

Screenshot-2017-08-23-18.36.11

When I load that it still looks weird, if I adjust the output dimensions it makes it all blurry again

Screenshot-2017-08-23-18.43.54

Will this really print out 100 inches ?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Try a different image editing program. Is that a MAC?

Mike Carr
    Participant

Yes sir

Ryan
    Keymaster

Dang it could  just be a MAC thing. Most here are on windows or linux. MAC isn’t super maker friendly.

Mike Carr
    Participant

Am also running Windows 10 in Parallels, what image editing software do you recommend? Paint.net? Gimp?

Mike Carr
    Participant

Should I even mess with output size ? Every time I do the image gets blurry

Screenshot-2017-08-27-11.15.55

I opened Paint.NET, resized the image to what I wanted

Screenshot-2017-08-27-11.18.20

Then open in Image2code, still, only 100 inches displays correctly

John
    Participant

I am using Marlin and was wondering if you could ditch the parens you use in the generated gcode?  Parens are taken as errors so this is an error (Generated by 3dpBurner Image2Gcode v1.0)
    (@Sep/22/2017 03:40:14)

Now if you want to add comments like that to the gcode just put a semi colon at the start of the comment so in this case before each line as such ;(Generated by 3dpBurner Image2Gcode v1.0)
    ;(@Sep/22/2017 03:40:14)

edit: Another real error is a dangling F for feedrate as there needs to be a G1 Fxxxx to set a global feedrate (or set it per axis but no need for that for this).

G28 X Y
    G90

G21

F600

G0 Y112.05; Move to top left corner and begin box

The above is some of the code and see that F600?  It is a flat out error so the feed rate is never ever set.

Consider these a very simple request and really easy to implement so more can use this software and I thank you for the continued work on this.

edit:  I just found something else that is an error “G1 X0 G1 Y0” that extra G1 is an error and it should be G1 Xx Yx and in this case would be G1 X0 Y0.  I think a button added for these changes would be nice and make it so it has a broader user base.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  John.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  John.

John
    Participant

For anyone who needs the change to the G1 command (only really need it when using diagonal) load up notepad++ (in windows) and hit ctrl-h.  Check the regex radial button so it turns black (it is at the bottom of the search box we opened with ctrl-h) and in the search put this exactly (G. X.*?) G.( Y.*?)   Mind you the spaces.  In the replace with put this $1$2 and the gcode file will be Marlin ready.  While in the notepad++ don’t forget the other two things and just do those by hand.  I have a 19meg gcode file and this takes a dang long time on even a Ryzen 1600 OC’d (I was wondering if it had crashed honestly) so I hope the author implements the changes I mentioned.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  John.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Regex can do anything. It can even do magic, if you’re a wizard. 🙂

Other places that regex works are with atom (the editor), sed (part of Unix), Python, perl. If you want command line tools like sed, awk, grep in windows, I can say that mobixterm and cygwin both work very well.

Notepad++ is good, but I would also look at atom.

John
    Participant

Regex is the black arts and I wish to stay away from cygwin.

I just looked at the atom page and will try it and I sure hope it can do regex (looks very similar to notepad++) and if it does faster than notepad++ as I just ran into a 64m gcode file and no way would I want to mess with that.  I could see 10 mins easily I bet.

I just tried Atom and no thanks it crashed on the same search with the same file that notepad++ had no issues with.  Not sure why though.

btw, I take it that this project for Image2Gcode is a dead project?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by  John.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  John.

RussB
    Participant

Yes, shame there have been no recent posts/updates to this program. I ‘just’ started into laser engraving/etching 2 weeks ago and stumbled unto this software. Personally, from what I’ve seen output wise,it does a great job 🙂 I’ll keep using it until someone suggests something else thats free/low cost as this is just a hobby for me. Thought I’d make a module for my 3D printer to laser etch.

To the original programmer kudos!!!!!

Cheers,

RussB

James Donnelly
    Participant

Anyone here know if going to a 32 bit board like a smoothie would increase the engraving speed over a RAMPS setup?

I’ve heard reports of a4 sheets taking hours to engrave.

Ryan
    Keymaster

A standalone laser engraver has very little moving mass so they will always be much faster. The MPCNC has a large moving mass and therefore we move it slower and with slower accelerations. If you watch a standalone etch, you will not want to move your MPCNC that fast.

It isn’t an electronics thing.

James Donnelly
    Participant

When I do raster engraving of some of my 2 colour decal images, I feel I am seeing the mechanically optimised speeds for the device.

It only takes a few minutes to complete a fairly large image.  My device has no PWM so the burden is moving the steppers and turning the beam on and off.

I have heard that RAMPS converted machines which are able to do PWM power control are much slower than this (when engraving 8 bit), with more than one voice stating there is a processing bottleneck in the Arduino.

So it seems to me to be electronic not mechanical.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I’m not clear on what that means.

If you are having bottlenecks try using the usb instead of sd card. I will be uploading a project today that doesn’t work on an SD card as the commands come too fast to work on the lcd.

The machine can move 120mm/s x and y until you hit that limit the issue is elsewhere.

John
    Participant

Marlin is a turd for speed whereas GRBL is so fast my 3d printer can’t keep up.  Marlin via USB maxes out at around 60mm/s for me and on SD card around 90mm/s.  Now Grbl-mega (same exact hardware of Mega 2560 + Ramps 1.4) my physical hardware can’t keep up and after tweaking acceleration and feedrate I physically max out at 148mm/s over USB.  I had it doing 300mm/s but it was throwing things off of my wobbly table and while lasering it would make some weird sounds due to my laser having no real weight so I do 145mm/s as that machines physical limitation but it is not due to software.

Once I get in the mood I am changing the entire X axis so my speed will probably go up but a Prusa I3’s weakest point is that X carriage and I can’t do anything about that.

Viewing 17 posts - 271 through 287 (of 287 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.