Is Inkscape impossible, or is it just me?

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC Is Inkscape impossible, or is it just me?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Bryan 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Peter A Mills
    Participant

I’m trying to work with Inkscape to come up with a few original designs. It’s not going well. Is Inkscape the best program for creating drawings that can be used in ESTLcam?

I’ve tried a dew different things mentioned in this post:
    https://www.vicious1.com/forum/topic/inkscape-file-to-estlcam/

And I’m still getting garbage. On Export I get boxes in random places (similar to the link) and sometimes I can’t get anything to show up. I’m not sure if this is on Inkscape or ESTLcam, but considering I paid for ESTLcam that part isn’t changing.

Admittedly, I haven’t spent a lot of time working with Inkscape, but everything I’ve done has been a chore. Is it worth learning? I’ve used Tinkercad to create SVGs but it lacks text fonts and other features. Does anyone use anything else?

I found this online SVG drawing tool that I’m going to check out: http://draw-svg.appspot.com/drawsvg.html

Ryan
    Keymaster

It sounds like you are exporting background boxes and stuff in inkscape. It isn’t estlcam adding them. Change your background in inkscape to a different color or the checkerboard, willing to bet you have a bunch of random stuff floating around.

You should look into a CAD program, fusion 360, tinkercad, sketchup. you can do Sketches in them and don’t just have to make solid objects.

Bryan
    Participant

I’ve had issues with Inkscapes SVG files. Mostly the scaling is inconsistent. I export as DXF and they work perfect. Try giving that a shot.

I also use an old version of Corel Draw which also works well when exporting with DXF. Used AutoCAD at work to draw up some stuff and export DXF and it also works awesome.

I’m a believer in DXF 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.