JDGreen's Dreamsicle Orange & White MPCNC

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC JDGreen's Dreamsicle Orange & White MPCNC

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  JDGreen 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

JDGreen
    Participant

For once in my life I was not in a hurry to get this done.

I think I started printing and buying parts some time in May of this year.  I finally have things working pretty well and wanted to share.

I can’t say thank you enough to Ryan for this great machine and to the rest of the forum for the great ideas.

Hopefully I can be helpful to others as well.

This is actually the 2nd MPCNC for me.  The first one was one patch after another.  Once the 25.4 mm J-version was released, I knew I had to make a new machine.

Some of my goals were to:

1. make the machine very attractive
    2. use button head screws and flat head furniture nuts instead of normal hardware
    3. do an excellent job with wire management
    4. de-clutter by mounting the x-y endstops on the center section
    5. buy an actual DW660 for the spindle and use a superpid.com speed controller
    6. use terminal strips and aviation connectors for the wiring across the board
    7. make the electronics mounting as clean as I could

All the parts are printed on a Prusa i3 MK2 (fantastic printer) using WYZ Worx Fluorescent Orange or White PLA

I used a 0.2mm layer height (remember, I wasn’t in a hurry)

The controller is a mini RAMBo that I bought from the shop ran from a RasPi3.

Hopefully this group will enjoy what I’ve done and I can help others along the way.

01_overview
    02_overview
    03_y-endstop
    04_endstop-and-flag
    05_x-endstop
    06_z-endstop
    07_y-cable-chain
    08_x-cable-chain

JDGreen
    Participant

Derek P
    Participant

Fantastic build, love the hardware. Have you had any time to play with the IR sensor yet? I have used the aircraft connectors as well, I just hope I never fly in a plane that use them!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

:applause:

Very nice build. It really shows how versatile the MPCNC is, and your MPCNC is very well though out.

JDGreen
    Participant

The IR probe works very well.

It is mounted on a bracket that can be snapped on to the z-axis 25.4mm vertical tubing and adjusted according to however long the cutting tool (or a certain height above a laser) is.

I don’t use it for machine control…mainly just playing around at this point.

I do intend to use the mesh bed levelling and the IR probe the establish how out of level the table is.

In case you didn’t know, I purchased this one from filastruder.com

https://www.filastruder.com/products/mini-differential-ir-height-sensor

Nice built, pretty clean.

Just a remark, it seems pretty high, so if I were you I would try to find a way to attach the frame to the wall, this way it wouldn’t wobble at all.

I like the endstops position, the screws you used look nice and I think that hanging the electronics on the wall is a pretty good idea, it makes the thing very accessible.

One thing really worries me though: it is way too clean, you need to get this thing filthy with dust ASAP!

Ryan
    Keymaster
    One thing really worries me though: it is way too clean, you need to get this thing filthy with dust ASAP!

Cheers to that!!!

Looks great but it will look better with some dust on it!

JDGreen
    Participant
    …Just a remark, it seems pretty high… One thing really worries me though: it is way too clean, you need to get this thing filthy with dust ASAP!

You are exactly right on both counts.  I think I will drop it from 200mm to 100mm Z travel.

I can’t wait to get it dirty either!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.