Laptop and Dock Stand

New Home Forum Things You Have Made Laptop and Dock Stand

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  David Walling 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I wanted my laptop monitor at a similar height as my other monitors, and I thought I could gain some desk real estate and maybe even some storage underneath.

– I designed it in OnShape.
    – The material is labelled ‘7/16″ OSB’ at HD, and it was $6 for 24″x48″.
    – Total cut time was about 3 hours, I would guess?
    – Cut on my LowRider
    – 15mm/s, 3mm depth. Pockets are all 3mm deep.
    – I had a little trouble with the bottom piece. One axis overheated, or maybe came loose, and it stopped moving, but I was able to realign it OK and finish the cutting, and it works fine.
    – The bins/blocks on the bottom are separated because if you slide them together, they blink, disappear, and you just get more points.
    – The logo on the top is for git. I had to put something there. If I were to do it again, I’d make it centered on the laptop section, since it gets half covered by the dock.
    – I did some sanding. I should probably do some clear coat on it. It’s a little dirty, but otherwise, it’s smooth to the touch.

Pictures!

IMG_20170525_085942

IMG_20170525_085904

IMG_20170525_085854

IMG_20170525_090058

IMG_20170525_090028

Let me know if you want to make it, I can publish the DXF files on Thingiverse or post the OnShape link for it.

David Walling
    Participant

Nicely done.

I have one I 3d printed off of the web, but it doesn’t work with a dock. I’ve been thinking about designing my own as there’s stuff I don’t like about this one.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Here’s my design. I made it sort of parametric, but honestly, I liked making it as much as I like having it, so you should make your own:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d22d777ba0c1d1d5965420fa/w/8aeed963242593e938acea18/e/5839cece0e8d5b8d9060521a

Also, I haven’t cut OSB before, it is very soft, and I like the industrial look. And it’s cheap. I’ll be using it again, for sure.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Looks great. I like how the over cuts are just big enough, not giant dogbones. After looking the the digital joint document from the other thread you guys put up I want to try a few of them.

Design might be my favorite part as well.

1 user thanked author for this post.

David Walling
    Participant

One thing to know about OSB… it doesn’t like moisture very much.

But then again, neither do laptops.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I would have just done the overcuts in EstlCAM, but I wanted to align so you wouldn’t see them. I don’t think it’s a big deal, but I know they are there.

I think it would work fine for a really long time as it is, but I think I will put some water based poly on it. I’m only worried it will fray just from the finish. I will have to try on some scraps first.

David Walling
    Participant

spray enamel clear coat might work well in this application. definitely do some test pieces if possible. I’ll look forward to seeing how it comes out.

I sealed some for outside use using latex primer and paint. My problem is it’s where water can sit on it. I’m going to end up having to redo it sometime this year.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.