largest 3d print

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Walter 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

castrol69
    Participant

Just out of curiousity, what is the largest 3d print that has been done on this machine and how did it turn out quality wise?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I haven’t done any large prints but I have done a whole bunch of the roller F’s…

Mike
    Participant

Bump for this. That’s one of the things that intrigues me with this machine. Any big prints out there?

karltinsly
    Participant

I’m interested too.

I eventually would like to try at least a large print or two. Maybe a guitar or ukelele, or maybe something else. I’m looking at what I need to get to put together a whole extruder head with a volcano (most likely a clone). With such a large build area, I would want to pumping out a lot of plastic fast.

A friend of mine is building a custom three wheel car – a single seater with a vw bug front end and motorcycle rear end. He asked me the other day if I could 3D print fenders for him. I told him not right now, but give me a couple of months and I just might!

nerdyrcdriver
    Participant

Sounds like you want the extruder from this monster.

karltinsly
    Participant

That’s insane. Of course I want to build one 🙂

Barry
    Participant

Heh, the partdaddy used abs or pla pellets instead of extruded filament!

Ryan
    Participant

and the quality is poor. I used to have a Rostock Max V2. i just never got it dialed in like I had hoped.
    You can see from that image that the quality isnt fantastic.
    I own 2 SLA printers and a taz 5 and of course could make my MPCNC in to a printer if i wanted.

However, without HEIGHT, i dont see the overall value of printing BIG. for example , a big benefit of large format is Cosplay full helmets in 1 piece. I did an Iron man full size on my taz5 .

A Large printer no more than a few inches tall doesnt intrigue me much.

Barry
    Participant

Well it is using a 4mm nozzle, not .4, but 4mm! That’s quite a bit bigger than the filament we use on our printers. It can also print 4 foot diameter objects. Let’s see your taz do that! My Max v2 prints awesome, and yes, it’s a pain in the ass to get dialed in, but they’re fun to watch print.

Also, if you’re going to use the mpcnc as a printer, then you can make the z as long as you want. You don’t have to worry that much about side forces for printing, unless you get some print curl, then things will get ugly.

nerdyrcdriver
    Participant

That thing regularly prints vases that kids can stand in. The layer height is like half a centimeter not .2mm.

Sorry to hijack the thread with the post about the partdaddy, it was just too cool to pass up.

I think I would just buy a 12×12 sheet of glass and print on that. The standard z axis is taller than most prints I have to do.

Walter
    Participant

I just finished my first successful test print. its a housing for a 7″ tonetec touchscreen. I printed all the parts for it at once. it took about 12 hours at 30mm/s. Largest thing I’ve ever printed since I only ever had a printrbot play.

Walter
    Participant

Just look at that bridging…

castrol69
    Participant

That’s pretty impressive.

Walter
    Participant

Printing at 50mm/s too!

Walter
    Participant

Did a one at a time print last night

Got up to it nearly finished this morning. although I still have some bed leveling to do, its working like a dream.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.