Lines in cut

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Dalton Hinkle
    Participant

I’m making a sign and in my design its  a wider design and it  leaves these horrible ugly ridges. What shoul I do?

Evan
    Participant

It looks like you are using a ball end mill (has a radius on the tip). You need to either use a very small finishing stepover to reduce the height of the ridges, or use a cutter with a flat end (normal flat end mill). For this application, a flat end mill is probably the right tool for the job.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Can you take some screenshots of your estlcam settings and paths, or upload your .e10 file or gcode. Looks like a few things need to get tweaked.

Dalton Hinkle
    Participant

Yup in about 30 minutes

Dalton Hinkle
    Participant

Dalton Hinkle
    Participant

I’m using a v bit

Bill
    Participant

Using a V bit means you’ll have to make very small cuts to get anything close to a flat surface within those letters. A flat bit will be much better. V bits are best for carving, where there are lots and lots of small movements giving curved surfaces.

Dalton Hinkle
    Participant

This is it… is there a way to use the v bit and do something in easlcsm to do this. cleanly.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yes, look at my carve tutorial and it shows how to adjust the step over to get a flat bottom. Its in the how-to page.

Dalton Hinkle
    Participant

Where’s that

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sorry it was my YouTube, settings shown at the end of the video.

Dalton Hinkle
    Participant

ok so the wider maximum carve width?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Give it a try, do a single test letter and see what settings work best for your bit and material.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.