Looking for advice with this file in Estlcam

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Looking for advice with this file in Estlcam

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Johnny Johnny 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Peter A Mills
    Peter A Mills
    Participant

I was showing my friend some of the pieced I’ve cut and he asked if I could cut him a sign for the horse carriages he sells. It’s a pretty straightforward design so I told him I’d work on it. I’m still pretty new at all this so I’m looking for help.

Bennington-Carriages-BLACK-SOLID-large

I’ve figured out one way to carve the letters with a V bit and carve the curve with a 1/8 and 1/4 flat end mill then cut the whole piece out, but I was hoping someone could help me with a different way. I think I’d like to carve down the background so the letters, the curve and the small strip around are all uncut, and everything around is cut into the piece. I thought this would be pretty straightforward where I could create holes and parts then surround everything and make an island. I think that would work, but to do that and get the detail I need I think I’d need the 1/8″ bit. I can only go max 24″ square right now. Besides taking forever, I don’t currently have great 1/8 bits and they tend to break so I don’t know that it’s even possible.

Then I thought that I could use my 1/4″ mill to bulk cut the big open areas and then fill in with the 1/8 mill around the letters. It’s getting a bit too complicated for my novice skills. Am I on the right track or is there a better/easier/more efficient way? Is there a different bit that I’d need to do it a better way? Would I get a good finish using a (quality) 1/8″ bit?

Capture

The screenshot shows me in the middle of the process of cutting up the large areas for my 1/4 mill. I can’t seem to get the island function to disregard all the areas that I’ve already milled with the 1/4″ mill. This results in a 5:30 cut time, most of which would be the 1/8″ mill running in air. I suppose I might be able to modify the G-Code to eliminate some of this, but I thought I’d check here for better advice.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Profile photo of Jeffeb3
    Jeffeb3
    Participant

Have you seen this carve video:

https://youtu.be/LEFFogenSvo/

It looks like you can pocket with the 1/4″ and then carve with the v bit, to a set width. Maybe?

Profile photo of Dalton Porter
    Dalton Porter
    Participant

I believe Jeffeb3 is correct, set a “maximum carve” value on the carve. This should force the vbit to stick to the edges. Then pocket with the flat bit.
    Post a pic of your result!

Profile photo of Peter A Mills
    Peter A Mills
    Participant

Thanks. I had seen that video but since I didn’t need it when I watched it the info didn’t stick.

I didn’t have much luck with the carve/pocket but I’m still going to try things in the program before cutting.

Capture2

Right now I’ve cut out large areas with 1/4″ bit for pocketing and the 1/8″ bit will do areas in the letters.

I’m pausing on this until I can get a 1/8″ bit I can trust. The current ones I bought are very brittle and I don’t trust them. I also need to work on my tool changes. If it isn’t exact the cuts won’t be at the same level.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Johnny
    Johnny
    Participant

Maybe in the mean time get some dense foam insulation and do some test carves to get it dialed in before you waste and wood and break bits. Can’t wait to see how this turns out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.