Milling Aluminum..

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Milling Aluminum..

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ryan Ryan 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Christopher
    Christopher
    Participant

When milling aluminum is there a good starting point when it comes to depth per pass? With wood I usually go 4 mm per pass and that works fine for me but I would figure with aluminum you would need a smaller bite to not bog down the motors or break the bit.

Also for extra points. Anyone ever mill sheet steel on their machine? If so, same question applies.

• This topic was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of Christopher Christopher. Reason: Clicked notify box
    Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

Im shocked to see you do 4mm per pass with wood. Maybe I am just being overly conservative but I am using 1mm mostly with 1.5mm on my 1/4 bits in wood.

Christopher
    Participant

4mm works pretty well for me. Machine doesn’t bind or lose steps. Cuts come out nice and without burning the edges.

Profile photo of Martin DB
    Martin DB
    Participant

For Aluminum I was testing with DOC of 0.3 to 0.5mm. Also some successful tests with 1mm DOC using trochoidal paths.

About wood, pine/mdf I use 3mm DOC with 1/8 mills. Not testing yet with 1/4 mills.

Profile photo of P3DCNC
    P3DCNC
    Participant

@martindb, what RPM are you running at for aluminum ? 30k rpm?

Profile photo of Martin DB
    Martin DB
    Participant

My router is 26k rpm at full speed, 2 flute end mill… I have some new 1 flute end mill to test, this should be better.

Christopher
    Participant

I’m assuming that when milling aluminum it’d be smart to change my stepover. I use the full end mill width when milling wood. But maybe half that for aluminum would yield better results.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

With adaptive clearing or trochoidal milling enabled, aluminum should start to get much easier.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.