MPCNC versions and LEO69 laser

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC MPCNC versions and LEO69 laser

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ryan Ryan 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dennis Wright
    Dennis Wright
    Participant

Hi,
    I have a Makita router mounted MPCNC using 25mm OD conduit, a kit of parts purchased from Vicious in November 2016 and STLs downloaded from the site on 19 November 2016. Everything went smoothly and I haven’t reflashed Marlin so it’s as TED produced it. As the MPCNC is continuously evolving I am however confused about which versions are compatible with what.

I have now got tempted by the LEO69 laser game and have downloaded from the site the Rev 2.0 PDF by LEO69. While waiting for bits to arrive from China my (immediate) questions are:

1 Does this laser mount ( http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1301138 )published Jan 26 2016 by LEO69 fit the November 2016 MPCNC mount?

2 Does this Universal mount (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1234989) dated Dec 30 2015 fit the November 2016 MPCNC mount?

3 As I will presumably have to reflash Marlin to change RAMPS 13.h file for the pin D9 to pin 44 mod what is the version of Marlin to download. I’m hoping that issue on the forum in January has been resolved and that I won’t have to reflash each time I change from laser to router.

4. Has anyone published a software walkthrough similar to the basic and intermediate router ones on the site? If not can I assume that turning the laser on and off by M107 / M107 is enabled by the pin mod above?

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

1-No that is for Hicwik’s mounting system. The laser can really be stuck onto anything. It is very small when assembled.
    2-Yes. The keyword you want to see is “525” that means it fits the current parts release on 5/25/16.
    3-I hope to be updating the firmware soon, so probably before you get your parts. The only reason you would need to reflash firmware is if you are 3D printing with your machine becuase leo’s mod remaps the print fan pin. If you are not printing then you do not need to swap firmware once you remap it.
    4-https://www.vicious1.com/forum/topic/another-stamp-walthrough/, https://www.vicious1.com/laser-engraving-mirrors/. These might help a bit.

Did that help or make it worse? Sometimes I don’t feel I help much.

Dennis Wright
    Participant

Thanks, helpful and some bedtime reading. I am in the U.K so it will be bedtime soon!

Dennis Wright
    Participant

Ryan,

I tend to do my 3D printing design in OpenSCAD (its the scientist in me!) and so the dimensions of the toolmount would be useful. Can you confirm please that the dimensions, angles etc. in http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:805803 ( design of yours dated May 3rd 2015) are still valid for STLs downloaded from your site in November 2016? If not is there another source of the relevant parameters?

Thanks in advance

Dennis

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Those are correct.

Dennis Wright
    Participant

Ryan,

Its probably me being stupid but I think there is a critical dimension missing from the drawing. I have attached a gif with 2 dimensions A-B or C-D which I think I require. Only one is required as the other is calculable by school geometry. I have imported the STL into NETFABB and using its measuring function I reckon A-B is 37.35mm which produces an outline which looks correct but it would be nice to use the exact figure, rather than print lots of trial pieces.

I am still waiting until June before the laser drivers and bits arrive from China into the UK so there is no panic.

Thanks in advance

Dennis

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

AB=37mm, remember that line is then offset by .2mm to get the sketch I use. that usually makes up for 3D printers accuracy and allows for a tight fit.

Goes to show you, 2 years later you are the first one to actually make a mount from scratch. The rest must just be chopped up stl’s.

Dennis Wright
    Participant

Suppose I’m afflicted by the Not Invented Here (NIH) syndrome. I really should learn how to edit/ adapt / modify STLs, out of interest what software do people use to do that?

Profile photo of Andy
    Andy
    Participant

You can use fusion 360 to mod stls, you have to turn off the history first then import as a stl as mesh then turn the mest into a body but its possible. I do this to remix things occasionally. Last thing i did it for was a mate who wanted a rotary switch to go on a din rail for his guerrilla nissan leaf charger. So i downloaded someones din connecter and streched it abit. job done in less that 15 mins. Quite a funky thing which will let him use a variety of different socket types at different amp rating to charge his leaf. he can thus charge faster if the socket will let him. (or slower if it wont) When i get an EV i will be doing the same.

Dennis Wright
    Participant

Ryan,

You really do hide your light under a bush. I came across your laser mount design on Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1636811 which as I have the same laser and the Good Laser A-11 driver which is the correct size I have printed while waiting for the heat sink to arrive! I have in the interim now produced an OpenSCAD program that successfully produces STLs that fir the MPCNC which hopefully won’t be wasted.

My question is, and this is based on my experience of fitting the mega/ramps combo into your design of cover https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1183975 which was very (very!) tight how do you get the laser driver PCB into the 525LaserTop.stl? Is it brute force and ignorance or is there a trick?

Dennis

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

The ramps mount is a bend and fit type thing.

It has been a while since I took the laser apart but maybe sand or file the groove a bit and the edge of the board. Or I guess on that one maybe scale it up 1-2%. That fit such specific parts I can’t believe how many people have actually used it.

I love making things, but I hate making them twice, so I always make changes. For the laser mount I never made a second one so I never revised any of the fit stuff, Like I am pretty sure the latch triangles are too sharp and need to get rounded or filed down as well.

Dennis Wright
    Participant

Ryan,
    Thanks for designing this whole menagerie of toys. Its keeping me interested and busy. I’m getting close to the point where I will flash the firmware and was wondering where we are with that. I don’t use the MPCNC as a printer, finally at the 3rd attempt have a working LCD and bought the hardware from you in November so I presume it will be the processor to the T8 Leadscrew

I am following the Leo69 PDF from your site but conscious of the recent correspondence on the forum in the
    https://www.vicious1.com/forum/topic/new-marlin-1-1-0-release/page/2/ page regarding using pin 6 instead of pin 44. I think pin 6 is a servo pin

I am also aware of the Old Guy coding video (8) which points out that servo pins are not buffered unlike pin 44.

You were hoping in your May 8th post in this thread to have updated your release so I was wondering where we are with that and also what pin is the one to use.

Dennis

PS in the end of my 2 laser drivers one was 29mm and fell through the slots and the other was never going to go in so I will use two 10mm Nylon PCB standoffs having drilled 2 3mm holes on the mount_cover these locate in the mounting holes on the PCB.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

I can’t really confirm the Pin thing. I think we got conflicting results as there are a lot of variables. I am pretty happy with the current firmware if you want to try the pin edit it is very easy to do just one number. The current firmware has the laser moving as fast as I think it will do without introducing acceleration wobbles. More testing needs to be done.

Thanks for the kind words, I hope to add some more machines to the lineup.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.