My Adventures with the MPCNC

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC My Adventures with the MPCNC

This topic contains 76 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Dave B. 2 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 61 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Author

Dave B.
    Participant

I lashed the vacuum to the Z-Axis to suck up all the extra lasurebeams. You can see them sucking up into the tube where they’re rendered inert by filters and such. Lasures pfft.

I ran the 6W in PWM mode which gave a really cool 3D effect to the burn. You can see how the grain and quality of wood affects the image! This poor hippy looks okay but the King looks amazing.

Hippy

BB50

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.

Dave B.
    Participant

Soundgarden was a huge part of my teenage soundtrack, what a crazy surprise. Had to pay tribute.

Cornell1

Cornell2

2 users thanked author for this post.

Johnny
    Participant

Wow Dave. Those burns look awesome! Once I get the mpcnc up and running I plan to add a laser to the tool crib.

Dave B.
    Participant

It’s been a very rewarding addition! And quite the learning curve but really, not too bad so far.

These were done with the 6W NUBM44 diode from DTR Laser shop and an Optlaser driver. Software was;

Photoshop for initial cleanup and level adjustment then into PEP5 for the GCode conversion.

Couch image had issues as I choked the movement by putting the wood too close to my Y axis and getting the shop vac (blowing onto the burn as a ghetto air assist) stuck between the pipes.

Settings:
    Couch = .23mm dot size and 1400mm speed. Took approx 1.5 hours.
    Headshot = .34mm dot size and 1500mm speed. Approx 40min burn time.

The last 2 ones are pretty amazing!
    That’s really great results, I really have to give a try to laser whenever I can!

Dave B.
    Participant

Forgot to mention, the Cornell headshot was run max 180 and min 15 for PWM control rather than full 255.

Dave B.
    Participant

Time to switch back and cut more boxes. I decided to try one of these Cyclone things so found a decent looking setup on Thingiverse and here we are. ABS main body and PETG inserts. Acetone glued and smoothed inside and out. In the process, I managed to melt too deep on the top layers which I foolishly printed only 2 layers thick without thinking… it melted into my infill and made for some potentially leaky holes!

Cyclone02

The inserts were also a bit too small for my hose so I fired up Fusion 360 and designed some adapters that will act as quick connects and a plate to cover the top of the whole thing so I don’t start blowing dust and crap everywhere.

Cyclone01

Can’t wait to test it out!

Ryan
    Keymaster

I need one on my orbital sander, that little booger fills up with dust so fast I get annoyed with dumping it so I don’t.

David Walling
    Participant

Let us know how that thing works. I was looking at printing that same one.

Dave B.
    Participant

I’m hoping to get a chance this weekend to put it to the test. I’m also waiting on some new bags and a filter for the vac but that won’t stop me from testing.

james
    Participant

Did you run across this one too?

Vaccuum Cyclone Adapter https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1429160

Seems a little less effort, but probably less effective as well.

David Walling
    Participant

I bit the bullet and started printing it this evening.

Took me a bit to get it broken into two pieces due to my build height only being 180mm.

The first chunk says it will take 21 hours… so we’ll see how this thing works on Sunday.

Barry
    Participant

If you have a Menards near you, they carry Dust Deputies. I’m actually surprised Harbor Freight doesn’t carry something like them. They have the bigger dust collectors already.

David Walling
    Participant

Well. My try at printing the dust collector went horribly wrong.

I tried to use ABS, but I haven’t printed ABS since switching to the new slicer. It looks like I had the wrong ABS settings but didn’t catch it until the print was done. The back corner lifted where I couldn’t see it which happened to be where the inlet tube is supposed to screw in.

I may try to salvage it by cutting the inlet and just gluing the tube on.

Dave B.
    Participant

Today’s fun, custom dice for a Star Trek game!

Attachments:

Barry
    Participant

Neat!

Dave B.
    Participant

Posting this here as can’t find how to send via PM. ¬†Currently this is my settings on the 2W laser. ¬†6W goes up to ~0.3mm on Pixel resolution.

PicEngrave

Attachments:
Viewing 17 posts - 61 through 77 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.