My Adventures with the MPCNC

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC My Adventures with the MPCNC

This topic contains 76 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Dave B. 2 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 61 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #33909

    Dave B.
    Participant

    I lashed the vacuum to the Z-Axis to suck up all the extra lasurebeams. You can see them sucking up into the tube where they’re rendered inert by filters and such. Lasures pfft.

    I ran the 6W in PWM mode which gave a really cool 3D effect to the burn. You can see how the grain and quality of wood affects the image! This poor hippy looks okay but the King looks amazing.

    Hippy

    BB50

    Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    #33997

    Dave B.
    Participant

    Soundgarden was a huge part of my teenage soundtrack, what a crazy surprise. Had to pay tribute.

    Cornell1

    Cornell2

    2 users thanked author for this post.
    #34003

    Johnny
    Participant

    Wow Dave. Those burns look awesome! Once I get the mpcnc up and running I plan to add a laser to the tool crib.

    1 user thanked author for this post.
    #34006

    Dave B.
    Participant

    It’s been a very rewarding addition! And quite the learning curve but really, not too bad so far.

    These were done with the 6W NUBM44 diode from DTR Laser shop and an Optlaser driver. Software was;

    Photoshop for initial cleanup and level adjustment then into PEP5 for the GCode conversion.

    Couch image had issues as I choked the movement by putting the wood too close to my Y axis and getting the shop vac (blowing onto the burn as a ghetto air assist) stuck between the pipes.

    Settings:
    Couch = .23mm dot size and 1400mm speed. Took approx 1.5 hours.
    Headshot = .34mm dot size and 1500mm speed. Approx 40min burn time.

    #34007

    The last 2 ones are pretty amazing!
    That’s really great results, I really have to give a try to laser whenever I can!

    #34031

    Dave B.
    Participant

    Forgot to mention, the Cornell headshot was run max 180 and min 15 for PWM control rather than full 255.

    #34406

    Dave B.
    Participant

    Time to switch back and cut more boxes. I decided to try one of these Cyclone things so found a decent looking setup on Thingiverse and here we are. ABS main body and PETG inserts. Acetone glued and smoothed inside and out. In the process, I managed to melt too deep on the top layers which I foolishly printed only 2 layers thick without thinking… it melted into my infill and made for some potentially leaky holes!

    Cyclone02

    The inserts were also a bit too small for my hose so I fired up Fusion 360 and designed some adapters that will act as quick connects and a plate to cover the top of the whole thing so I don’t start blowing dust and crap everywhere.

    Cyclone01

    Can’t wait to test it out!

    #34411

    Ryan
    Keymaster

    I need one on my orbital sander, that little booger fills up with dust so fast I get annoyed with dumping it so I don’t.

    #34414

    David Walling
    Participant

    Let us know how that thing works. I was looking at printing that same one.

    #34422

    Dave B.
    Participant

    I’m hoping to get a chance this weekend to put it to the test. I’m also waiting on some new bags and a filter for the vac but that won’t stop me from testing.

    #34460

    james
    Participant

    Did you run across this one too?

    Vaccuum Cyclone Adapter https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1429160

    Seems a little less effort, but probably less effective as well.

    #34475

    David Walling
    Participant

    I bit the bullet and started printing it this evening.

    Took me a bit to get it broken into two pieces due to my build height only being 180mm.

    The first chunk says it will take 21 hours… so we’ll see how this thing works on Sunday.

    #34484

    Barry
    Participant

    If you have a Menards near you, they carry Dust Deputies. I’m actually surprised Harbor Freight doesn’t carry something like them. They have the bigger dust collectors already.

    #34581

    David Walling
    Participant

    Well. My try at printing the dust collector went horribly wrong.

    I tried to use ABS, but I haven’t printed ABS since switching to the new slicer. It looks like I had the wrong ABS settings but didn’t catch it until the print was done. The back corner lifted where I couldn’t see it which happened to be where the inlet tube is supposed to screw in.

    I may try to salvage it by cutting the inlet and just gluing the tube on.

    #36000

    Dave B.
    Participant

    Today’s fun, custom dice for a Star Trek game!

    01

    02

    Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.
    #36006

    Barry
    Participant

    Neat!

    #43747

    Dave B.
    Participant

    Posting this here as can’t find how to send via PM. ¬†Currently this is my settings on the 2W laser. ¬†6W goes up to ~0.3mm on Pixel resolution.

     

    PicEngrave

    Attachments:
Viewing 17 posts - 61 through 77 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.