My build 30''x30" nema 23

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC My build 30''x30" nema 23

This topic contains 23 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  waynec 11 months ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #15949

    waynec
    Participant

    I have finished my build and pen calibration tests. Works well!.

    #15951

    Jason
    Participant

    Pics?

    #15987

    Benjamin Shaw
    Participant

    You used Nema 23 steppers? How’d that go? What are the benefits?

    #16088

    waynec
    Participant

    Pic of my machine.

    #16090

    waynec
    Participant

    Hi The build went easy I used the original nema23 motor mounts on thingiverse. I had to up date to 20 teeth gt2 pulleys as I had 1/4 motor shafts.

    I had the huge nema23 motors from another build i started and 24V power supply.

    #16092

    waynec
    Participant

    I did calibration circles and squares, then I decided to do the single line art plot from thingiverse, I used estlcam and it creates the toolpath.

    Estlcam Worked well with my Grbl board.

    #16095

    waynec
    Participant
    #16096

    waynec
    Participant

    I also decided to build a 2×4 table for the mpcnc. Once the router is fitted I will move it to its new home.

    #16098

    waynec
    Participant

    Here is another showing the motor mount.

    #16179

    waynec
    Participant

    Now that the Pen test worked out I have test fitted the router. I had a old HFT router same OD/size as Makita router so I printed the holder form Thingiverse..

    I also found a dust shoe for 65mm Diameter on line, it is open source. It routes the air from the router out the side and vacuums at the bottom, sO it does not blow the dust around.

    Hoping for first dust soon.

    #16183

    Benjamin Shaw
    Participant

    Nice. Got a link to the dust shroud?

    #16197

    waynec
    Participant

    See the link below, nice design.

    Dust shoe

    #16227

    waynec
    Participant

    Since my machine uses 282oz/in NEMA23 motors on the x & Y axes I decided to add max travel limit switches to machine.

    Limit switch holders were printed from thingiverse.
    See picture.

    Attachments:
    #16326

    waynec
    Participant

    Wow the cnc worked well I used 90 deg v-bitand carved my first picture in styrafoam.

    Achieved first dust. Ok ok first Styrofoam chips. See pics below.

    Just to try with the dust shoe and without, I started with a vacuum pipe no dust shoe and it spread the chips all over, made a 😉 temp skirt for the dust shoe (blue painter tape) and it worked well.

    Let the fun begin.

    #16390

    waynec
    Participant

    Today I use the Estlcam feature to carve the picture with a v-bit, hard to see in the picture but the cut looks more 3d not just a outline.

    Not amazing but baby steps in Styrofoam, also carved it very small.

    Steps
    Downloaded a jpg.
    Used inkscape for edge detection
    Used inkskape to Generate the DXF file and save.
    Opened Estlcam and selected each section I wanted to carve Chose to carve inside.
    Saved cnc program in Estlcam
    Open NC file in Estlcam and cut

    see pictures below.

    I am also trying jpg/bmp to vector conversion software called wintopo. They have freeware version and it seems to have lots of functions.

    Attachments:
    #16449

    waynec
    Participant

    Today I did more engraving with a v-bit tried to cut some chipboard , the machine is running well. Seems very stable but I am not taking large cuts.

    The dust shoe is working well.

    See pictures below.

    #16469

    Barry
    Participant

    Aww, man. He spilled his coffee!!

    #17880

    waynec
    Participant

    I started some wood engraving with a .103″/2.7mm dia cutter and made carved letter sign.

    I had one axis off and had to rotate one stepper each time before turning on motors. I printed the old rigid mods from thingiverse and installed the 6 additional bearings. Now it works great. I will eventually print the new z axis.
    old z axis rigid mod

    See the pic below of the engrave.

    #17903

    waynec
    Participant

    I also modified the dust shoe to get a shorter 1/8 bit to work and made the vacuum pipe vertical.

    see my engraved picture just finished.

    #18263

    waynec
    Participant

    I managed to get some time and practice on my machine.

    Starting to get the hang of how to improve cuts.

    #18277

    Ryan
    Keymaster

    Looks really good. You can usually tell by how the cut walls or bottoms look. To me from those pics looks like your machine is great!

    #18443

    waynec
    Participant

    I used a small cutter today and the machine worked well. It took a bit of time but the mpcnc worked well, I think my best cut so far.

    #18445

    Ryan
    Keymaster

    Looks perfect!

    Once you get the hang of it you should be able to speed things up, usually by a deeper cut, but there are other ways as well.

    #21199

    waynec
    Participant

    Hi All Just a quick update on my machine I added drag chains and belt tensioners and they seem to be working well.

    I got some 60deg carve bits so I can get back to making a few things.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.