My build 30''x30" nema 23

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC My build 30''x30" nema 23

This topic contains 23 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  waynec 11 months ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

waynec
    Participant

I have finished my build and pen calibration tests. Works well!.

Jason
    Participant

Pics?

Benjamin Shaw
    Participant

You used Nema 23 steppers? How’d that go? What are the benefits?

waynec
    Participant

Pic of my machine.

waynec
    Participant

Hi The build went easy I used the original nema23 motor mounts on thingiverse. I had to up date to 20 teeth gt2 pulleys as I had 1/4 motor shafts.

I had the huge nema23 motors from another build i started and 24V power supply.

waynec
    Participant

I did calibration circles and squares, then I decided to do the single line art plot from thingiverse, I used estlcam and it creates the toolpath.

Estlcam Worked well with my Grbl board.

waynec
    Participant

waynec
    Participant

I also decided to build a 2×4 table for the mpcnc. Once the router is fitted I will move it to its new home.

waynec
    Participant

Here is another showing the motor mount.

waynec
    Participant

Now that the Pen test worked out I have test fitted the router. I had a old HFT router same OD/size as Makita router so I printed the holder form Thingiverse..

I also found a dust shoe for 65mm Diameter on line, it is open source. It routes the air from the router out the side and vacuums at the bottom, sO it does not blow the dust around.

Hoping for first dust soon.

Benjamin Shaw
    Participant

Nice. Got a link to the dust shroud?

waynec
    Participant

See the link below, nice design.

Dust shoe

waynec
    Participant

Since my machine uses 282oz/in NEMA23 motors on the x & Y axes I decided to add max travel limit switches to machine.

Limit switch holders were printed from thingiverse.
    See picture.

Attachments:

waynec
    Participant

Wow the cnc worked well I used 90 deg v-bitand carved my first picture in styrafoam.

Achieved first dust. Ok ok first Styrofoam chips. See pics below.

Just to try with the dust shoe and without, I started with a vacuum pipe no dust shoe and it spread the chips all over, made a 😉 temp skirt for the dust shoe (blue painter tape) and it worked well.

Let the fun begin.

waynec
    Participant

Today I use the Estlcam feature to carve the picture with a v-bit, hard to see in the picture but the cut looks more 3d not just a outline.

Not amazing but baby steps in Styrofoam, also carved it very small.

Steps
    Downloaded a jpg.
    Used inkscape for edge detection
    Used inkskape to Generate the DXF file and save.
    Opened Estlcam and selected each section I wanted to carve Chose to carve inside.
    Saved cnc program in Estlcam
    Open NC file in Estlcam and cut

see pictures below.

I am also trying jpg/bmp to vector conversion software called wintopo. They have freeware version and it seems to have lots of functions.

Attachments:

waynec
    Participant

Today I did more engraving with a v-bit tried to cut some chipboard , the machine is running well. Seems very stable but I am not taking large cuts.

The dust shoe is working well.

See pictures below.

Barry
    Participant

Aww, man. He spilled his coffee!!

waynec
    Participant

I started some wood engraving with a .103″/2.7mm dia cutter and made carved letter sign.

I had one axis off and had to rotate one stepper each time before turning on motors. I printed the old rigid mods from thingiverse and installed the 6 additional bearings. Now it works great. I will eventually print the new z axis.
    old z axis rigid mod

See the pic below of the engrave.

waynec
    Participant

I also modified the dust shoe to get a shorter 1/8 bit to work and made the vacuum pipe vertical.

see my engraved picture just finished.

waynec
    Participant

I managed to get some time and practice on my machine.

Starting to get the hang of how to improve cuts.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Looks really good. You can usually tell by how the cut walls or bottoms look. To me from those pics looks like your machine is great!

waynec
    Participant

I used a small cutter today and the machine worked well. It took a bit of time but the mpcnc worked well, I think my best cut so far.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Looks perfect!

Once you get the hang of it you should be able to speed things up, usually by a deeper cut, but there are other ways as well.

waynec
    Participant

Hi All Just a quick update on my machine I added drag chains and belt tensioners and they seem to be working well.

I got some 60deg carve bits so I can get back to making a few things.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.