My MPCNC threaded rod mod build

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC My MPCNC threaded rod mod build

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David Keranen David Keranen 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of David Keranen
    David Keranen
    Participant

This is test run .The build has a threaded rod mod on x and y for milling . Have a beaglebone black with a cramps board running linuxcnc.The cramps board is from pico-systems.This board can also run a 3d printer Everything is printed out of abs

Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Keymaster

What are you doing about whip and backlash?

Remember above 60rpms and you lose torque with the steppers.

David Keranen
    Participant

I’m using a nylon bushing Hillman 8804338 tapped for 5/16 thread , it doesn’t seem to have any backlash at all . This is the second CNC machine I used this arrangement on .Made wood gear clocks with first machine .As for the threaded rod whipping about it doesn’t seem to occur on my machine, of course when I purchased it I tried to determine if it was absolutely straight.

Very interesting topic. Please keep us posted, I think it could solve the only issue the MPCNC has (in my opinion): a limited torque.

I would worry that the threaded rod wobbles quite a bit at high speed though. You should consider some acme rods or ball screws instead, also because the pitch would be longer. I guess your CNC moves pretty slowly with these rods.

Did you use one or two motors per axis?

Profile photo of WarHawk8080
    WarHawk8080
    Participant

So need a video of this in action!

David Keranen
    Participant

I found the information I needed on google groups for the motors. Charles Steinkuehler I believe designed the cramps board and did the software for it .So there are two drivers for X and two for Y . They called it a gantrykins . So I have 5 A4988 drivers. I think there was someone else on this site that was working on the same thing, but I haven’t found it again.

Was going to post a video of my machine but I still have issues . It may be caused by vibration. The gear printed about right with the pen but when I tried it with a 4 flute .062 end mill wasn’t good at all. Have to finish my table for the machine and bolt it down and maybe that will solve it . The gears in the picture I did on my first machine but the machine is much heavier . Hope I can get them to turn out on the MPCNC.

Attachments:
    Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Keymaster

Yes, you have to bolt it down, and a 4 flute bit is not recommended for such high rpm spindles.

David Keranen
    Participant

I had to shorten my z axis had it too long

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.