Need help setting up extruder

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC Need help setting up extruder

This topic contains 30 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ryan Ryan 1 month ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

I ordered my MPCNC from Ryan last year. It has been fantastic, and now I’ve decided to try 3d printing with it.

I ordered this from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016D7668S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve been looking at the MPCNC guide for how to wire it, but I’m a bit confused as my cables are different colours.

Could someone give me a bit of guidance? I appear to have a connector for the fan, two red and two white cables coming from the hot end (the white ones have a connector on them), and the servo cables.

It also came with two drive gears – a 26 teeth and a 40 teeth. Which is the correct one to use?

Many thanks!

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

The two small white wires are the hotend thermistor, the go to port T0 (where the resistor used to plug into).Polarity does not matter.
    The two red wires go into the port D10, polarity does not matter.
    The red and black are the heatsink fan and should be on at all times, usually we wire this to the power directly. Polarity does matter here red is positive. Not to be confused with a print fan that would wire into D9.

If you are using the old firmware you should be good to go, if you updated then you need to flash the extruder enabled one.

You will need to power both sides of the green plug as well.

Ramps Stack

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Fantastic. You are a gent.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

I *think* I’m wired up, but I’m unsure how to tell whether or not it has worked.

Can you see any obvious mistakes from my photos?

Is there a way for me to easily debug the situation?

Repetier-Host is logging “echo:Active Extruder: 0”

(Apologies, I’m new to 3d printing!)

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

You need a driver on the extruder axis but the rest looks okay. The wires on your green plug are a little frazzled fro me to be comfortable, you do not want to let the positive and negative touch, loosen up the screws, twist the ends and get them completely inside.

When you do put a driver on you will need to set the voltage first, before you try and move it.

You can start repetier/or check your lcd for the extruder temp, at room temp it should be 25C+-5C and the heat sink fan should be on.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Ah ha! Drivers. I knew I was missing something important.

Thanks!

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

My driver was delivered today.

I’ve been poking it with a multimeter similar to this guide:

I’m getting 0.7v on all of the drivers. Is that correct? It seems very low. I’ve not touched these drivers since you sent them to me (and they’ve worked fine since I’ve had them).

My extruder heats up to 202 degrees and I can see a tiny (tiny) bit of plastic on the nozzle, but it’s not printing.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

That guide is for different drivers but the technique is okay.

Yes I ship them on a full ramps kit at ~0.7V. Why does that seem low? The extruder driver might need to be lower depending on the stepper on it. as you run it check the temp of it after at least 30min, REally hot means turn down the driver, warm is perfect, cool means it might handle a little more but make sure to actively cool the driver if you go above 0.7V

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Ah ok, I’m sure I read a guide saying it needed to be considerably higher.

I’m trying to print the test file you link to on the ramps page. It seems to heat up correctly to 202 degrees, but when it tries printing there’s nothing coming out (except for a few specs of plastic on the tip of the nozzle).

Is there an easy way to check that my extruder stepper is working correctly?

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Hold the filament and see if it is getting pushed out instead of pulled in, meaning the extruder plug would need to get flipped, when powered down completely.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Hrmmm, it seems to be an issue with how I’ve set up the stepper.

I’ve tried the stepper in the other ports and it’s moving fine, but using it on the extruder port (with my new driver) doesn’t give any movement.

I’ll take another look at the firmware.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

When flashing the firmware it’s complaining about the libraries for the LCD missing (I’m not using LCD).

Do I need to comment out some lines from within the firmware, or should I be able to add the relevant libraries myself and just not connect an LCD?

Edit: Nevermind, I just added the LCD libs

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

It is so easy to use the lcd library now I am not going to bother making one without it, so yes it will not flash without it. It used to be slightly more complicated. I have made a pictorial step by step here,

Firmware

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Great, thanks.

I’ve flashed the firmware and it seems I’m still getting no signal on that extruder slot, but I can confirm that the stepper driver is working (it works in the other slots).

Interestingly it seems that this new firmware has reversed my Y axis (although, it’s no problem!)

I guess I have issues with the driver for the extruder. I’ll try a different one and see if that helps.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of while debugging this?

Thanks a lot for all your help. I know I’m asking far too many questions!

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

The driver will not turn on until the hot end is at a minimum of 170 degrees. Is this the issue you are having?

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

No, I waited until it was up to temperature but still no movement.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Power down and swap the driver with a different axis. This will tell you if it is a driver issue or not.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Looks like I can rule out a driver issue. The X/Y/Z are working just fine with the driver swapped.

Hrmmmm!

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Did you flash the extruder firmware, the one that says “EB”?

Make sure all the pins are in between the ramps and arduino.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Yeah this is the EB one.

I’ll keep fiddling – I’m sure I’ll work something out!

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Well at this point you might need to inspect both sides of those boards and look for damage or bridged solder points.

Did you get it from me?

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Yeah I did, but I’ve not been gentle with it, so it’s entirely possible that I’ve broken something.

If I order one from amazon it should be as easy as just flashing the firmware, writing it back up and making sure the jumpers are all in place?

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Yup.

If you think it was on me, send it back. If you are thinking you might have done something amazon is cool.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

It’s fine, it was most likely me and I’m on the other side of the Atlantic. They seem super cheap anyway.

Thanks a lot for your help this evening.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

My new board has arrived!

I’ve set it all back up and flashed the firmware.

If I turn the heater on and press the extruder controls within Repetier, I can hear the stepper motor moving, but nothing comes out.

However, if I manually push the filament through it comes out of the nozzle.

What do you think the likely causes are? I feel like it’s unable to grip the filament correctly?

I’ll get there eventually… I feel tantalizing close.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Are you sure it is going the right direction? Up to temp? Extrude at least 20mm at a time.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

Yes definitely going in the correct direction. I’m extruding 50mm at 195 degrees, but I’m just getting a vibrating sound on the stepper

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Sounds like a wire is not connected. Check continuity and double check you hit all four pins on the ramps board. Or make sure the pairs are in the correct position, the extruder side and the ramps side are in a different order.

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

There we go!

I re-seated everything and it’s working. Fantastic, thank you!

Profile photo of Mike
    Mike
    Participant

My very first print has started. So far it’s looking good, but a looong way to go.

Repetier says it’ll be 3 hours 20 minutes until it’s complete. Does that sound about right?

I’m trying to print “mount_top_inner” from here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1607080/#files

The only reason I ask is because the test IE part that you link to from the /import-extruder/ page seemed to move a lot faster.

I just want to check that I have all the settings right.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.