New Build in PA – Black, Yellow, Silver, Blue, Possibly Other Colors…

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC New Build in PA – Black, Yellow, Silver, Blue, Possibly Other Colors…

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ryan Ryan 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Chad deQuevedo
    Chad deQuevedo
    Participant

I live close to Bob Swika who has his build on here. He talked me into building one of these by showing me the site and possibly one or two videos. I just got my 3D printer running good again after letting it sit for a few years. Parts are so cheap now and the new E3D heads are much easier to maintain. I bought 12 spools of PETG from MakerGeeks and then I won a spool of PLA from them in a contest. That PLA will be my center assembly.

I have all the conduit cut and reamed. I almost have the base completed. The last roller printed last night. The first 3 are in the pic. I have new #6-32 screws coming. I was using electricians screws and decided while they fit, I don’t want them splitting the plastic over time. I have hex button screws on the way to replace them.

For my printed parts, I am using the recommended infill percentage but using the honeycomb pattern to add some strength. So far everything fits great and able to be tightened with no issues. The center assembly will be all PLA as per Bob.

Oddly, my table will be one of the last things completed. I have an 8′ by 8′ ex-bathroom in my basement that at one time had a wood floor. That rotted out because of the dirt under it and it was about 80 or 90 years old. It has been unused for about 10 years. During that time I removed the plumbing and wiring to prevent issues that might pop up. 3 of the 4 walls are concrete foundation and the 4th wall has a door. Plus it is not under the main part of the house, so sound from it will not be heard in most of the house. Yeah, I have a very old and weird house that started as a grocery store and has been added on to over and over again. I just have buy the materials to put a finished floor back in the room and run some new wiring to make it my MPCNC room.

I like to print things slow and my kids want fidget spinners, so this project will probably take a few more weeks or longer. My print times are almost twice the time this site says they should take, but they look great and are solid. My son likes how the 3 rollers I already have look like smiling faces.

The foot bottom, lock corner, and bottom corner are black. The top corner and pineapple is yellow. The rollers, roller plates, and nut trap are called Smoke, but when printed with the high infill are more silver. I have a lot more colors to choose from for the remaining parts. Pretty much everything but red and brown. I might do some glow in the dark for the z-axis.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

There are 2 honeycomb infills and I am not sure either is stronger but they both definitely take longer.

So far so good, can’t wait to see it and the work room further along. Welcome to the club! High five Bob for me for introducing you to the MPCNC.

Chad deQuevedo
    Participant

I am using Slic3r and Honeycomb on there is full wall and not overlapping points. It is supposed to be stronger…according to Slic3r’s own site :). This made me look it up and some sites say it is stronger and others have numbers that say it is weaker but tell me nothing else about what they were printing. I can tell you that it took the flex out of some big hooks I printed in PETG. In PLA at 55% infill I am not seeing a difference. For the PLA XY and XYZ I switched to rectilinear.

I’ve been going back and forth about where to have the mill in the basement. I wanted it closer to where I do other work for a few days. Then I looked up at the little old window in the room I mentioned and that is begging to be made into a vent. It is a hinged wood frame window 7′ up the wall that is cracked and doesn’t shut right. I’m going to say it it the original window.

I am hoping to get parts together this weekend and start posting more pics on the build.

Chad deQuevedo
    Participant

So…on top of a really bad allergy season Bronchitis happened and messed me up for over a week. A friend (Not Bob) who shares another hobby with me had to move and I ended up buying a lot of RC planes off of him. Like, 14. My 3D printer decided that it did not like some cheap nozzles I bought and I had to get new ones. I will never go cheap on nozzles again. But as of last week I am almost back on track. My rails are cut. I just ordered the pulleys and belt. Friday I am getting the lumber for the table. With the exception of the pineapple, every thing in the middle and with motor mounts is now Blue PLA. My last 2 pieces are printing now and the printrer is working better than ever. There is a lot less PetG in the MPCNC than originally planned. I printed some test bridges and PLA is a lot more solid and rigid than I realized. Last night I got the center together. Hopefully over the next week or two I will have a marker drawing pictures for me. Bob has been motivating me with pictures and samples.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

What did you think of putting that together, like the best kind of jigsaw puzzle?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.