New Zealand part sourcing

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC New Zealand part sourcing

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jason 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Jason
    Participant

Hi guys,

I am currently looking into building a MPCNC however I am located in New Zealand and part sourcing over here for the EMT Conduit seems to be fairly hard, the cheapest I have been able to find Conduit for was going to be about $57 per 4 meters. I was wondering if it might be a better option to go for steel/galvanized steel pipe or aluminium pipe instead. I am able to get the steel pipe for $6.90 per meter with a 1.6mm wall thickness, or galvanized steel pipe at about $12.12 per meter. I am able to get 3mm wall aluminium for $72.11 per 5 meters plus the cost to get it galvanized. I am still waiting on some suppliers to get back to me on the price of stainless steel, but it does seem to be quite a bit more than the previous options. I am hesitant to get the aluminium due to ware from the bearings, what would be your recommendations on this? All prices are in NZD.

With this in mind I was wondering what the recommended material would be for me to get? Or are there any other kiwi’s who have been able to source this stuff at a decent price?

Kind regards ๐Ÿ™‚

Jeffeb3
    Participant

25.4mm OD steel tubes would be the way to go. No need for stainless. There are a few posts about sourcing parts in NZ. It looks like the router will be your next time to work around.

https://www.vicious1.com/forum/topic/australian-tube-options/page/3/#post-16018

https://www.vicious1.com/forum/search/Zealand/

Barry
    Participant

Don’t use aluminum. ย The steel bearings will wear flats on it causing slop.

Jason
    Participant

Thanks for the replies, do you think it would be worth getting the galvanized steel pipes or just the regular steel pipes? When I called them I believe they said the normal steel has a black finish, that might’ve been one of the other places though I’m not too sure.

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Jason
    Participant

Jeffeb3, you said no need for stainless, however I think I will be able to source stainless cheaper than normal steel or galvanized steel, in this case would it be worth getting the stainless over the other options?

Current prices I have been able to find are:
    Steel – $6.90 per meter – 1.6mm wall thickness
    Galvanized steel – $12.12 per meter (could possibly get it at $6.70 per meter but unsure at this stage) – 1.6mm wall thickness
    Stainless steel 304 – $5.83 per meter (can get in either 400 or 600 grit finishes, I think 600 is super shiny and 400 is not?) – 1.5mm wall thickness
    Stainless steel 316 – $7.5 per meter (this one only comes in 600 grit finish) – 1.5mm wall thickness

With these prices, do you think it would be worth sticking to the galvanized steel or swapping instead for stainless?

Thanks for the help ๐Ÿ™‚

Ryan
    Keymaster

get the stainless

Jason
    Participant

Ryan, do you think the 316 stainless is worth it over the 304? Also what surface finish would be better?

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

Ryan
    Keymaster

Get the cheaper one, your over thinking it too much. Most of us use dipped galvanized, any stainless is far better than that.

Jason
    Participant

Sweet will do, thanks so much for the help ๐Ÿ™‚

Now time to start sourcing the rest of the parts and start the massive amount of 3d printing ๐Ÿ™‚

PS. If any other kiwi’s are trying to source the tube, I found the stainless at Vulcan Steel for $33.36 per 6m ($5.56 per meter), it also looks like they have Aussie branches, could possibly be similar prices over there?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.