Oddity milling aluminum

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Scott Adkins 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Scott Adkins
    Participant

I milled my first aluminum today, and while it went very well, there is one oddity that I”m trying to figure out.

Attached is a picture of my first test piece, and there’s some horizontal striations that always occur at the same Y-Axis locations across all 3 squares.

Any ideas as to what causes this? Maybe at those points there’s more friction or something on the rails?

Barry
    Participant

Could be rough spots on your rails.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Do the belts for that axis seems any tighter or looser than the other axis?

Could also be chatter, looks like a single pass cut (the toughest), if you get into wider cuts when it is only cutter with half the bit that will probably go away. Like it you cut a solid square the first cut is tough all the rest are must smoother, faster.

Scott Adkins
    Participant

All 4 belts seem to be pretty similar in tension.

That was 5 or 6 passes at 0.3mm DOC at 5mm/s.

I’m not overly concerned about it.. my current aluminum milling needs are all through holes/paths, so I won’t even notice it on the finished product. But, if I can fix it, all the better.

It probably is rough spots on the rails.. I might take some high grit sandpaper over them and see if it makes any difference.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.