overview and basic infos on "sharp stuff"

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC overview and basic infos on "sharp stuff"

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Stefan Stefan 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Stefan
    Stefan
    Participant

Hello! Thank you very much for this great design and all the information! I am from Austria (Europe) and I am starting to build the MPCNC right now. Everything is ordered, except the “sharp stuff”.

I am absolutely new to milling and have some questions on “sharp stuff”:

1. Can you recommend me a good overview on what tool is used for witch kind of work?

2. Is there something like a basic set?

3. For my first project I have to cut out parts from 25mm thick wooden panels. So what tool do I need for this job? Is it necessary that the usable spiral-length of the tool is also min. 25mm or is a shorter tool also sufficient (if tool diameter and spiral diameter are the same)? If the shorter tool is sufficient how long does it have to be in total? For example: is a 1/8″ tool with 8mm spiral-length and 38mm total length ok or do I need a tool with 25mm spiral-length and 76mm total length?

This question in one short sentence: How to chose the right tool?

4. I will use a Makita rt0700c. Am I able to use metric 3mm tools too, if I order a collet reduction 6mm to 1/8″ (3,175mm)?

Many thanks in advance!
    Regards,

Stefan

Profile photo of Stefan
    Stefan
    Participant

Thank you MrMeatGrinder! You helped me a lot with my first two questions. I will start with this 3 kinds of tools and I will start with collecting experience in milling by using soft materials first.

It is odd, that I can not see your reply in this topic. I had to click on your name and read your answer in the list of all your postings.

Before I order my first tools, I would be glad to have an answer on my question number 3. I am still unsure in tool lengths needed.

Thank you!

Profile photo of Bill
    Bill
    Participant

Three basic tool types, determined by the cutting end. A flat bit is used for surfacing and cutting through material, it cuts a cylinder. A V bit is used for simple carving and drawing, it cuts out an cone. A ball nose bit is used for 3D carving and finish work, it cuts a hemisphere.

Once you know which type of bit you’ll be using for a task you get to determine the width of the bit and number of flutes. The wider the bit the more material it cuts in one pass, the coarser the detail will be and the bit will have to move slower. You typically use wide bits when you need to remove a lot of material. Number of flutes acts similarly to slowing down or speeding up the spindle. A single flute bit moves the cutting edge against the material half as much as a two flute bit, one quarter what a four flute does. Fewer flutes means you can move material away from the bit more easily, higher number of flutes means there is less time to move cut material away.

I’d probably start with 1/8″ (3.175mm) bits in flat and ball nose, with one and two flutes. I’d then add in 1/4″ (6.35mm) bits, then V bits before going with smaller bits, but the projects you want to make will likely adjust that.

Profile photo of Stefan
    Stefan
    Participant

Thank you Bill. This basic info has been very helpful for me. There are so many different tools available, it is great to know how to start.

In addition I found an answer for my questions number 3 and 4:

Answer question 4: No, there is a separate collet reduction from 6 to 3 mm.

Answer question 3: (not tried myself yet) Going deeper than the usable spiral-length of the tool (in multiple small steps) and only milling a single slot (cutting out) is difficult for the tool to get rid of the wood dust. If you want to try, a good dust collection is essential.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Profile photo of Stefan Stefan.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.