Protecting/cleaning the steel.

New Home Forum LowRider Troubleshooting – LowRider Protecting/cleaning the steel.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffeb3 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I don’t work with metal, ever, really. The tubes I bought are covered with oil. Its going to turn to sawdust infested oil soon. I also don’t want to ruin a bunch of sleeves. But I don’t want it to rust. I’m assuming I can clean it with soap, or mineral spirits. Then to keep it clean, what? Wax? Poly?

Ryan
    Keymaster

A nice light coat of oil is usually a good thing. My opinion would be just a paper towel. That would get off the excess and leave a tiny bit.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jim Hildebrandt
    Participant

I clean my steel with simple green, purple stuff or tsp. I have stuff i’ve made years ago with no protection and no rust in our climate. If you want to put something on it Boeshield T9 is a great product for that. https://www.amazon.com/Boeshield/b/ref=w_bl_hsx_s_sp_web_2586153011?ie=UTF8&node=2586153011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Boeshield

Barry
    Participant

I use paste wax on my table saw top(cast iron). Keeps the surface from rusting and makes the wood slide easier. It’s also not wet, so sawdust doesn’t stick. I usually wax it once a year and that’s enough to keep it from rusting. I’m in the Ohio valley area, so it’s like 80 to 90% humidity all summer, no rusting from condensation. I wish I could say the same for my anvil. I need to paint the base of it at least. I haven’t done anything to the tubes on my mpcnc, I haven’t seen any rust on them yet. We’re using stainless on the lowrider, so I don’t really see the need unless you’re cutting on the beach or something.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’m glad no one said poly 🙂

I have paper towels within a few feet of the steel. I’ll start with that.

I also have some paste wax that I bought for my table saw, that’s probably a good idea too. I’ll do that if the paper towels don’t clean it to my satisfaction.

I don’t plan on cutting on the beach, but I also don’t want to commit to _not_ cutting on the beach.

I don’t have green, purple, or tsp stuff. You’re right though, Colorado is pretty dry. So I shouldn’t worry too much, probably.

Barry
    Participant

Heh, the MPZGR.
    Mostly Printed Zen Garden Rake!!!!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

It would make a pretty nice mandala.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.