Prusa i3 MKX

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic Prusa i3 MKX

This topic contains 31 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Johnny 2 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Johnny
    Participant

Joseph Prusa teased a picture of the MKX on Twitter this morning. Teaser shows TouchID on the edge of the build plate as well as what appears to be a removable print surface. Sounds like the unvail to happen at NY Maker Fair. I know several YouTubers such as 3DPrinting Nerd received a mystery package from Prusa this past week. Curious to see the upgrades coming.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Thomas Sanladerer received a multiple extrusion MK2, so it might not be the MKX:

Tweet:

Ryan
    Keymaster

Man I wanna get on a plane so bad….Next year.

Whats up with that print surface, that is different, PEI griptape? Maybe he is making electric skateboards now….oh please please.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Touch id is a joke. It seems its a flex plate that helps with abs. All the parts they print now come with that texture one one side of them. At least mine did.

Because theres a thread now and i didnt want to make o e just for this.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I saw that. I have been trying to make a screw counter for a while looks kinda like that, all 3D printer parts…

I used to like my shiny PEI prints but now I kind of wish they had a matte finish. Prusa always ahead of the curve, still have a man crush on his brain.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I use the same machine for cutting spaghetti. I don’t like spinning it on my spoon.

Ryan
    Keymaster

HAHAHA just open your mouth at the end of the ramp let the spaghetti fall in. That is plush living right there.

Kevin Lopez
    Participant

Woahh that thing looks pretty sick. Pretty amazing how much u can manufacture with some steppers and mechanical components like threaded rod. Dang it now I want my own screw counter.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Screw counter then auto bagger…I have a solid idea but I always end up a making other things when I open CAD.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Such a tease.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Looks like theres a new board.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Hmmmm, there is an archim update that I have only seen schematics for. looks pretty similar to the previous one.

IMG_20170922_113327

Ryan
    Keymaster

It definitely looks like Ultimachine made/designed it…I was just about to place an order. I guess I will wait a few days to see if something new pops up. The archim is the same price as the full sized rambo, I have been on the fence because I knew a new one was coming.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Just a few hours left. This is like christmas!

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Jeffeb3
    Participant

That’s awesome. I really think the raspberry pi W on the printer board is awesome.

Damn, even the discounted MK2 seems attractive. Maybe I could buy it and keep it somewhere my wife wouldn’t see it…

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

I guess I’ll just get the 2.5 upgrade kit but is it really sucks because I just got mine.

Jeff just put it inside a box and write it’s nothing on the outside of the box she’ll never know.

Johnny
    Participant

The upgrades seem pretty awesome. The quiet thing is what attracts me the most. I already have the MK2S though and dont need another printer. So I likely wont get to take advantage. My MK2S is pretty quiet except for the Y axis when it goes to move quickly. It resignates though the frame and vibrates pretty loud. No idea how to quiet it down or if you even can. Everything is tight so it isnt something loose. Regardless I am excited to see how the MK3 performs since the MK2S does really well.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I freaking love it. How the heck are any of those other companies going to justify $1000+ for there “dumb” printers?

There are so many new features I am going to have to spend  some time looking into them. No endstops? Those drivers must take some  serious programming. His new firmware will be interesting. Detecting layer slip….

I wonder if I can get the new boards (if there is even firmware) and if the rambo’s will be any cheaper now.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

The fiament sensor is pretty amazing. Its able to detect flow.

And its going to be super handy for the people in the facebook group that keep posting their plastic blob nozzel monsters.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

Ryan
    Keymaster

We need 1 more driver on there for dual endstops.

I can’t believe the no endstop thing has been sitting in the firmware for a while? How the hell isn’t that more popular, I thought he invented it, turns out he just implemented it…dam this industry moves fast.

Mmmfishtacos
    Participant

How does it even work?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I can only assume it sees a current spike when the stepper gets obstructed. But it must only be on when seeking an endstop or I imagine any hard accelerations would trigger it as well. Hope it doen’t need to bash a solid object to trigger.

Steve
    Participant
    I wonder if I can get the new boards (if there is even firmware) and if the rambo’s will be any cheaper now.

I asked Josef about the availability of the new boards. He said he would eventually have spares on the site and Ulti should also release. He also said the firmware is pretty specific and didn’t think marlin in its current form would run on it. As far as the Rambos getting cheap, I would imagine so, Prusa was a pretty large consumer.

Ryan
    Keymaster

They just told me they are trying the Archim boards with the trinamic drivers, that will be cool as the new Marlin 2.0 seems to be integrating the 32bit boards into the main branch finally The archim has daughter board capabilities so I am not sure how different the two really are, same company, same drivers, similar capabilities…

Bill
    Participant

Are they thinking at all of a mini Archim?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Not sure. To me that board is by far the best bang for the buck, when it gets support. Right now I can’t get the LCD to work right, and they even sent me a patch and it still didn’t work. I might have seen the issue but need to focus on the dual endstop right now.

I just saw they made a formal request to Thinkyhead over at Marlin to support Archim. If it gets pulled in I see no reason not to use it. Not exactly sure what that means, but he did add it to the ToDo list.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.