Settings for using Estlcam as controller software?

New Home Forum Software Development Settings for using Estlcam as controller software?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Markus Hauser Markus Hauser 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tony
    Tony
    Participant

Anyone using Estlcam for controlling in addition to CAM work? I’m more interested in CNC at this time, so I ordered an Adruino Uno kit to flash with the Estlcam controller, but I was curious as to whether anyone here was doing so and could share their settings?

Profile photo of Christian Knuell
    Christian Knuell
    Participant
    Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

Estlcam can’t control the router at the moment. It just makes the gcode.

Oh, wait, you’re trying to use a different controller, never mind, carry on!

Profile photo of Tony
    Tony
    Participant

Thanks Christian. No worries about hijacking.
    I’ll re-hijack your hijack in fact. Outside of the videos, are there any other good resources for information on using Estlcam? I’m mainly interested in two sided or flip milling. I purchased the software, and have started to experiment with it, but I can only do that really when I’m at home in front of my machine.

Christian Knuell
    Participant

Hi,

besides the videos most information is displayed as tooltip in the program itself.
    Just rest the mouse pointer above whatever control you’re interested in and it will give you detailed information.

2 sided machining depends on your strategy.
    If you choose 3d machining with a STL file you basically just enter stock material size and Estlcam will do almost everything else automatically.
    You just flip the part after machining the first side around its Y-axis (like a book page), touch off the left, front corner again and resume machining for the second side.

If you choose 2d / 2.5d machining with .dxf files (which is the better strategy if the part itself is machinable in 2D / 2.5D style) there are more things to consider. Hard to explain in plain text – maybe I’ll do a video about this soon.

Christian

Profile photo of Curt
    Curt
    Participant

Christian
    I really like your software and I have recently upgraded to V9. Have you added the feature to control the Arduino Mega? I thought that your software could only control the UNO.
    Thanks and I am looking forward to all your future software releases.
    Curt

Christian Knuell
    Participant

Hi,

Estlcam unfortunately only supports the UNO and Nano.
    The Mega is very unlikely to be supported in future – its just too much work to port it to this processor.

Christian

Profile photo of Richard
    Richard
    Participant

I would be very interested in seeing this workout. I think it would be beneficial if there was a section explaining the Estlcam setup using the Uno. I’ve sent an individual email to estlcam, perhaps this forum would be a better place so I could help more than just myself.

Regards,

Profile photo of Markus Hauser
    Markus Hauser
    Participant

So i decided to give it a try cause Repetier and Marlin does not work as i wanted to, so i choose to hook the steppers in series, so no need for 5 drivers, and as i do not want do do 3d printing or laser CNC-Shield 3.00 on Uno is all i need for now on my MPCNC. And i love the integrated controller software of estlcam, and the hazzlefree integrated update of the firmware. Maybe i will try native GRBL on my UNO and see if there are any difference. Don’t know how estcam communicates (Baudrate, Commands..) i do not know if any 3rd party g-code-sender is able to cummunicate with the software on the Uno (Christian -> is it possible to use the Estlcam Firmware with other GCode-Senders?), but it works. Already made my first move with Estlcam and Uno. Love it. Only thing is the mm per round on my 16teeth GT2 which i am not aware… should be 1mm with 200 steps per mm, right? Maybe Christian could clarify. And one more thing i am not aware, since it allows touchplate calibration, which pin on the CNC-Shield could be used for the probe?

Markus Hauser
    Participant

So basic setup, all based on calculation:
    X/Y
    6400 steps per turn (1.8° = 200 Steps 1/32 = 6400)
    32mm per turn (16 teeth 2mm pitch GT2 belt)
    30mm/s max. speed (more cant be computed due to 160 kHz limit of Arduino Uno)
    Z
    6400 steps per turn (1.8° = 200 Steps 1/32 = 6400)
    1.25mm per turn (M8 screw)
    8.5mm/s

When my machine is fully wired i will test these and reply.

Markus Hauser
    Participant

New Estlcam Version online!!! now experimental Firmware and control for Arduino Mega with RAMPS 1.4. Only basic support (movement), however i hope the autosense is also going to be implemented in this. Will check it out when my wiring is completed.

So stay tuned

Markus Hauser
    Participant

setup completed, all up and running. used Arduino Mega with new estlcam-firmware and 5 A4988 at 1/16 (X to E0 and Y to E1), so 3200steps per turn, 32mm/round and 60mm/s.

First run with marker pen: 4 Passes with movement between “cuts” to verify if the positioning is working as it should 🙂
    Paper size is A4 so about 210mm*300mm

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.