Some Old Guy Coding – Tool Change

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Some Old Guy Coding – Tool Change

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of vicious1 vicious1 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Keymaster

From https://www.vicious1.com/some-old-guy-coding-teaches-how-to-do-a-tool-change/

If you have questions, someone might have the answer.

Profile photo of Jeffeb3
    Jeffeb3
    Participant

Very useful instruction. I will definitely watch the other videos he’s made. Is Some Old Guy Coding on these forums somewhere?

If you don’t have a naturally square machine (mine is pre 525, and maybe not printed by an expert *ahem*), then you could use two clamps for each direction, one on each side, to hold the roller against. You’d have to make sure they were at the same distance from the end on each side.

If you are using method 4 (which holds the steppers at a “safe place”, and doesn’t use the startup clamps) then you would need to make sure the zsafe was at 0.0, right? I would probably do 0,0,0, unless 0,0,0 was cut out already…

vicious1
    Keymaster

The safe place could be anywhere that has a know z distance. So the cutting surface is easy, but so is the table top or a block. If you use a block or the table then you can move away from your material to give yourself more room to get your hands in to change the tool.

Profile photo of SomeOldGuyCoding
    SomeOldGuyCoding
    Participant

Greetings all, I’ve in the forums, but since Vicious1 went and made me somewhat a celebrity <G>, I decided to get a vanity username – SomeOldGuyCoding.

SomeOldGuyCoding
    Participant

perhaps it didn’t take. Oh well…

vicious1
    Keymaster

I changed it for you, You should be able to do it in your profile in the top right corner.

SomeOldGuyCoding
    Participant

Thanks!

Profile photo of Tom Cole
    Tom Cole
    Participant

I learned quite a bit. I like how you listed and explained the pros and cons of the various methods and how you put the methods in order of least automatic to most automatic. So thanks!
    I’ve been using an M17 instead of an M84. Right now I don’t even know the difference, but you certainly peaked my interest to study it.

SomeOldGuyCoding
    Participant

Greetings all,
    I’ve uploaded a tool to help with bit changes.

Thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2125978
    Youtube: https://youtu.be/63TSWRbf6ig

Thanks!

Profile photo of Martin DB
    Martin DB
    Participant

Nice tool. Thank you for sharing!

Profile photo of Curt
    Curt
    Participant

From one old guy to another, great work! I really appreciate your efforts and your willingness to share what you have learned and all your tools and things.
    I hope your celebrity status does not go to your head and you become too famous and good for the rest of us little people.

vicious1
    Keymaster

Oh I will see to that! With the kinds of video he puts out I am going to stop helping people directly and just start linking them to these videos.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.