Steel

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SomeOldGuyCoding SomeOldGuyCoding 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jeffeb3
    Jeffeb3
    Participant

I still have conduit on my MPCNC, but I’m working on the beta low rider HW.

I was looking at steel online, and it’s $20 to ship anything (rigid tubes, duh), so I found a local metal place (a few actually), but I’m not actually sure what size I need. is 60″ enough? I need two pieces, right? Is the 0.049″ like the suggestions for the MPCNC important, because there seems to be a much more common 0.065″?

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

I’m getting there. A new calculator soon.

.065″ is better for this. the 2 long tubes and 4 short ones for the z.

2×63″ish 4×11.5″ish

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Profile photo of Jeffeb3
    Jeffeb3
    Participant

Glad I asked!

Profile photo of chris893
    chris893
    Participant

Is 304 stainless what was used in the test machine?

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

90% sure all of mine has been 316

one was from this test, https://www.vicious1.com/forum/topic/stainless-steel-quick-and-dirty-flex-test/

I bought it all a long time ago so I have the receipts filed away.

Profile photo of chris893
    chris893
    Participant

The 316 should be superior as it has about twice the yield strength of the 304. However, it is also twice the price. I’ll play it safe and get the 316. It’s either $72 for two 8ft pieces of 304 or $147 for two 8ft pieces of 316 shipped from onlinemetals.com for me.

Edit: I forgot to apply the coupon code earlier. It was only $113 shipped.

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

I don’t have easy access to them either but I will try and do a test as soon as possible.

That quick and dirty test is very easy and reliable for what we are doing with it.

Profile photo of Jeffeb3
    Jeffeb3
    Participant

I bought some from a store in town, looks like a chain, “metal supermarket”? It cost $66 for 2 8′ pieces. I didn’t ask if it was 304/316…

It’s got some oil all over it. How should I finish it? Maybe just clean it and apply some poly-something-ane?

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

It shouldn’t matter the physical properties we are concerned with are almost identical. 316 is just more salt resistant.

Profile photo of SomeOldGuyCoding
    SomeOldGuyCoding
    Participant

Dang it! You all have me thinking about one of these now!

Does the stainless really need to be seamless or is welded OK? (really cuts the price)

Profile photo of Ryan
    Ryan
    Keymaster

Welded should be fine.

Looking to just try something new or do you just want to cut bigger things?

Profile photo of SomeOldGuyCoding
    SomeOldGuyCoding
    Participant

Good to know. Thx. I’m kinda thinking of cutting somethig bigger. I saw a picture of a cat tree made with plywood that would make a perfect low rider project–and being it’s for the cats, a good selling point for a low rider. However, I really don’t need a new project, ive got so many things to do with the mpcnc and just not enough time!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.