Still playing with the Dragon

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC Still playing with the Dragon

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Barry Barry 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

Pulled one of the doors off my router cabinet and milled the dragon into it. Note to anybody doing this kind of thing, don’t use a 1/16th end mill to rough out the shapes!! Took forever. Roughed with a 1/16th flat end mill, then finished, twice, damn windows update, with a 1/16th ball end mill. About 20 hours total.

Profile photo of John
    John
    Participant

How do you change bits and keep the router in the same place? Just a pause in the gcode of some kind so the steppers are still energized?

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

When I have estlcam make the g code, I only have it do one part at a time. That way I have a rough g code, then a finish g code. I’ve put a x and y “home” endstop in place and then moved them so my dust collection pipe fits, so I lose another inch or so of cut area. Then I maed a z touch plate. So now before the cut I home x and y, then move the router to where I want to start the cut and write down the offsets. Then I home the z with the touch plate, and then run my script that sets 0 for everything at this location. Once it’s done with the roughing I change out the bit, which usually causes the router to move, so I rehome x and y, then run it back to my written down offsets and rehome z. Then rezero and hit print!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.