table not quite level / laser attachment

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Hardware Development – MPCNC table not quite level / laser attachment

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of John John 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Richard Rouse
    Richard Rouse
    Participant

I’ve got all of my laser cutter stuff ala leo’s article.

As I’ve been using my mpcnc over the last few weeks, I have noticed that my table is not quite parallel to the cutting plane of my Dewalt.

While I’m not sure of the angular variance, I know that I’m off by about 2mm from side to side. for cnc routing, I just accept that I’m cutting into my spoiler board to compensate..and I really don’t care about that.

My question is:

Will this cause a major issue when I put the laser cutter on the z axis? I know that the laser needs to be focused.. will 2mm throw that out of wack?

Profile photo of Barry
    Barry
    Participant

Probably. How much, I’m not sure though.

Profile photo of Mike Cunningham
    Mike Cunningham
    Participant

Short answer: No.

Longer Answer: No, it will not.

Assuming that you have a decent powered laser, that will be focused at 30-60mm, you should have a usable range of about 15mm (7.5 up and down from the point of focus)

If you are doing image burning, the picture will get a little lighter/darker (depending on your focus point) towards one end of the table; but 2mm shouldn’t be noticeable.

On the other hand, you could always loosen the flex foot on that side, lift the conduit 2mm, and re-tighten it… personally, I used a 1/2″ 6″ ratchet extension, with a socket in it, to even mine up.

Profile photo of Benjamin Shaw
    Benjamin Shaw
    Participant

How could you fix this? Trim the legs?

Profile photo of John
    John
    Participant

you could throw a larger router bit on the router and trim up the spoiler board so that it is perfect with respect to the router plane. then mount the laser..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.