Updated Center Parts

New Home Forum Updates Updated Center Parts

This topic contains 318 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  John 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 319 total)
  • Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

This first one wasn’t good enough, so one to the next one. That one starts further down this thread, http://www.vicious1.com/forum/topic/updated-center-parts/#post-11784

Universal mount v1, new Z, and new center.

View post on imgur.com

All the parts printed a 55%, 3 perimeters, 2 bottom 3 top. All parts are printing better in my own opinion, screw holes all have more heft to them as well.

Middle-
    -3mm shorter in the z direction, but overall more z direction support, no longer offset.
    -5mm wider in the X and Y direction, but the bolt heads don’t hit the rollers now so I think we actually gain 1-2mm.
    – All bearings are spread further-more rigidity-the only flex I see now is the conduit. Smaller the machine the better more than ever now.
    -No more support needed
    -print volume needed 135x135x120mmZ
    -ditch the 1.75″ bolt, 4×3″,and 1×6-32″ +nut, in trade for 5×3.5″. Easier assembly
    – more adjustable, less tension needed over all
    – Lock nut is dead simple, no more anti backlash. Hopefully easily adaptable for other lead screw options (not recommended but there is always someone).

Z-
    -integrated knob/coupler. less hardware longer screws. better grip on the screw, and not torquing the screw should help not strip the coupler.
    -beefier z grip, more true axis?
    – any size stepper shaft.
    – coupler is longer on both sides for better grip on the shaft/screw.
    – prints much better, no overhangs
    -shorter leadscrew needed

Mount-

– Easier to switch tools. should be able to leave the mount on your tool of choice and un/screw easily from the front.
    – more contact area, more rigid!
    – longer contact with rails, more true axis?
    – Pretty universal. All mounts will fit all 3 size machines. So if you make a mount you won’t need to make one for each machine. less fragmentation!

Ryan
    Keymaster

edit

nerdyrcdriver
    Participant

I would love to test it, but my machine is disassembled (in sections, not completely) to bring home from college in a few weeks. If you still need testers by then I would love to try it out.

Marc A
    Participant

REf Universal mount v1, new Z, and new center

I would love to test it, but my machine is a 25mm version.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Should be a fairly easy edit to make the other 2 versions once this one gets tested. Sorry for the wait.

Ryan
    Keymaster

wrong thread

Jeffeb3
    Participant

And are you playing “Flight of the Valkyries” at full volume?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Quit making me laugh I’m trying to concentrate. It is super confusing to update a part, here, thingiverse, old thingiverse parts, assembly instruction, parts list…..barf….

Walter
    Participant

U kno those days that 3d printing just doesn’t work…… I’m having one of those days…

Jeffeb3
    Participant

The worst is when you get some strange printing artifact, and you decide it’s just a fluke. Then you print the same gcode again, and get the same artifact. The worst.

Franz Maier
    Participant

I say: 3D Printers are like small chillds, if you leave them allone, they make nonsense!

Attachments:

Barry
    Participant

You got lucky!!

This is what happens when your part detaches from the print bed, but keeps moving around with the print head! I think I was printing the motor mounts this time. PLA oozed up around the hot end and into the fan shroud. It also made it up past the effector plate on my printer, I had to use a torch and a knife to melt the plastic rivet it created to free it.

Franz Maier
    Participant

Had the same mess with my Ultimaker2 some time ago!

Ryan
    Keymaster

I thought I should add a picture to this. I think this one is cool that somehow it stuck again and finished the part pretty well!

View post on imgur.com

P.S. The new MK mount is super solid much more than the last one and the fan works much better this way.

Ryan
    Keymaster

So I am messing with the dewalt mount and found something kinda cool. There are drawbacks of course.

If you take off the quick tool change button and that shroud and just screw my mount on to that plate instead the decreased width lets you move the tool 20mm in closer to the gantry center. That is a lot and would significantly increase rigidity.

So I am sure plenty of people will not want to get rid of that button. I guess I will end up making 2 mounts, but this could really help things a lot for those whom push this machine too it’s limits!

nerdyrcdriver
    Participant

I haven’t used my 660 much, but I find the button to be more work than it needs to be anyway. Rigidity all the way!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

While I was taking off the button, I also rotated the top piece by 90 degrees (I followed a guide from a shapeko forums, but I don’t know where that is now). That was nice, but I had to put it back because it rotates that divot in the tool mount too. Just in case you wanted to also rotate it 90 degrees in the modified version…

Jason
    Participant

I second adding more rigidity.

Are these center pieces available for download yet? I didnt see a link

Does the camaro mod still bolt on with these new parts?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Not available yet, I have 5 people trying them out now. Lets see how that goes first. Soon I hope.

The Camar0 mod will not fit on here.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well I think I was wrong about the 20mm, It would be less maybe 7, I think I got it in there as far as possible. This is leaving 3.5mm head clearance on those bolts, Just in case other people’s bolts are taller. I have a top mount printing now but still no elegant way to adjust the angle of the tool, I am okay with shimming the dewalt with tape if needed instead of making some giant mount to slightly tilt the tool when tape will work fine.
    This mount should not have to be taken off the tool to mount and un-mount it. The top screws on the bottom part will need an awkward screw driver angle but really they come right out, so I am not going to sped any more time on it.

So it looks like it is about 1-2mm closer to the rails from the old one (slightly more rigid). I moved it up about 30mm, more rigidity. More Burly lower mount. All in all a decent improvement.

View post on imgur.com

Jeffeb3
    Participant

That is looking great. I’m definitely going to try to find a way to break my current middle so I have to print these as soon as they come out.

Gannicus
    Participant

Since I’ve already printed the rigid middle Z twice…which was a waste, are there any parts for the Z I can safely print that will be used in this new update?

Or should I just wait? Any eta on the release of the new files?

Thanks!

Ryan
    Keymaster

I’ll give you all the files if you want to give it a shot, but of all the beta testers 2 have finished it1 works perfect, 1 doesn’t. You might want to wait another day or 2 since it is a lot of printing. I am spending all my time on this right now, top priority. I really don’t have an ETA yet. if we figure out why the other one doesn’t work and we get another confirmation or 2 I will release them ASAP. but if we get another failed assembly it might take some time to figure it out. I have 2 of them printed on all my different printers and they work well, but my printers don’t really count.

Gannicus
    Participant

Haha I totally hear ya. No sweat. I was just wondering if something like the middle joiner hadn’t changed or something. From the pics, it looks like those parts didn’t change, but obviously I can’t tell from one pic. I’ll just hang tight. I have to reprint the corners now anyways, because I didn’t realize I had already printed them. =( Thought I was gonna have enough with two spools. Gotta order another one now.

Thanks for the awesome work though! Can’t wait to finally get this thing up and runnin’!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sorry, every single part changed even the nut traps, and the whole z axis. A few more days an I’m sure we will be really close to a release.

Gannicus
    Participant

Sounds good! I’ll just work on the other parts until then.

Marco
    Participant

I had begun to print another full z tower, it is easier to pull out the entire tower than disassembling the tool mount. I would like to have a tower for the spindle (with my dedicated remixed tool mount) and a tower for the 3d extruder. But now I will have to wait for the new center parts: I suppose that the center update is not compatible with the old z tower, right? So I have to build also two new z-tower …

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yup completely different. It is also much easier to change tools.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Alright, looks like the error might have been found, slight delta calibration error. Getting closer!

Gannicus
    Participant

SWEET! CAN’T WAIT!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 319 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.