What else do I need

New Home Forum LowRider Advice – LowRider What else do I need

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  matt thomas 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

matt thomas
    Participant

Hi

I am almost definitely going to purchase the Lowrider kits (all three kits, parts, printed and flat.)

Since I am entirely new to this world, and since I will be getting the parts shipped internationally, and since I live in a small town so I don’t have a local hardware store, AND since stuff is generally cheaper in America anyway, I was wondering what other things I should order at the same time?

Like what would be a good stock of “sharp stuff” for instance? (no idea about this)

And are there any parts that are likely to need to be replaced, or have backups of for any reason?

Are there any options that I might have missed? (I know about the Rambo)

thanks πŸ™‚

Matt

Ryan
    Keymaster

Make sure you can get the correct 1″ OD stainless. Generally you can not go off advertised measurement, you will need to physically check, a lot of places ignore the 0.4mm difference.

After you verify that, I think the only thing you should check is if the 611 spindle is available to you as there are no other tool mounts yet.

I don’t think you need any spares but probably should get a few of each, single flute bits, dual flutes, and maybe a vbit.

matt thomas
    Participant

I am looking at the DeWalt D26200, which seems to be the 230 volt equivalent to the 611, the stats that I have looked at seem to be the same, other than the voltage and weight (which makes sense for a different power supply)

http://products.dewalt.co.uk/powertools/productdetails/catno/D26200/

Ryan
    Keymaster

Cool, That should work. Nice find.

matt thomas
    Participant

Thanks for the advice on bits.

Although I’m still not entirely sure which to order out of the ones in the store.

I should point out that I am even new to routing, so I am not familiar bits at all, including the different types and terminology.

I will be mostly using the LowRider Β for Plywood, MDF, hardwood. Probably in that order, and I may try on aluminium or perspex at some stage.

From what I can see:

the straight bits might be better for MDF?

the curved ones better for Plywood?

Single flute better for something like aluminium? Dual for timber?

I assume the long and short depend on what thickness material I’m using, so long might be more general purpose?

Some say they are “great for slow feed rate and high RPM spindles”. Will my Lowrider/DeWalt be in this bracket?

You didn’t mention end mill ones, but they get recommended in the shop as a good general purpose. Are you saying you think I should get the NON-endmill ones?

One is labelled as down cut, which seems to give a better finish on the top surface, it says it is good for ply, would this be a good option?

Are the others therefore up cut?

Sorry for all the questions. I hate to be that guy. It’s only because I want to order the right stuff the first time. I have googled a bit, but the answers are generally written for people with more experience than me, and not specific to my situation.

thanks for any more help πŸ™‚

ps

here is a link to the sharp stuff in the store:

Sharp Stuff

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Upcut pulls the material and the chips up, toward the router. Downcut pushes down. So on plywood, the veneer is very fragile, so pulling up on it will make it splinter, especially on cheap ply, where glue is not full coverage. Straight cuts down pull up or push down. I haven’t used a straight cut. 90% of what I’ve done is in plywood and I like the downcut bits. I do get into trouble when I try to make small pockets, because the chips don’t come out easily.

The type of end depends on the type of cutting you’re doing. If you’re doing through cuts, then the end should be a rectangle. If you’re engraving, or carving details like letters, then you want a v bit, because you can make your cam just touch a little, which will make fine details. If you’re carving a shape, then the bull nose will is good at making slopes.

But, carving and engraving are a bit harder to get right. Specifically, they depend on a more accurate Z.

Make sure you watch the EstlCAM tutorial videos. Just search YouTube. I think they are published under Christian’s account. They’ll give you a good perspective on what to expect.

I would also try to find some hd foam somewhere nearby. It’s a great material to start with, because you can’t really break bits, and you can try out different things, or even make some keepers, like drawer organizers. Anytime I try something new, I start with foam.

And welcome. It’s a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the hobby.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Jeffeb3 has it.

Just starting out don’t worry about all the little details. The single flute bits are better suited to our spindle speeds and have a large sweet spot. They will do everything you need, some are just better suited for other things, like upcut vs down cut, all depends on which surface you want to look nice, the top or the bottom. Once I started using the single flute upcuts, The only other bit I ever use now is the vbit for details.

Watch our vids, even though I need to remake some of mine now that the software is better and we know more.

But really you need to just dive in to learn what is going on, words only get us so far until you have specific questions. I think the videos will get you a more clear picture though.

matt thomas
    Participant

Sorry for the slow response .

thanks for those replies guys πŸ™‚

matt

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.