What hot-end/extruder

New Home Forum Mostly Printed 3D Printer -MP3DP Advice – MP3DP What hot-end/extruder

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  David Walling 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

David Walling
    Participant

I don’t have a MP3DP, but I have a Prusa-clone.

I think the stepper motor for the extruder may have gone out on my MK8 hotend. I’m trying to decide if now is a good time to upgrade to a different hot-end/extruder.

I typically only print PLA and ABS, but would like to do PETG and some of the flexible filaments.

What would ya’ll recommend?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I haven’t used a ton of hotend/extruders but if you like flexible filaments direct drives are the best, speed you want a bowden. Other than that you kind of can’t go wrong.

PETG prints at lower /similar temps to ABS but with a lower bed temp not actually considered a high temp filament, I highly suggest you use this instead of ABS unless you need to vapor smooth.

You can pretty easily replace your stepper and sort of upgrade your extruder at the same time, depending on which extruder you have. Using the MK8 cheapy and the microswiss throat I have a killer combo very on par with the titan aero, the titan has the benefit of being a little lighter. That is why I carry all those parts though I use them and prefer them. As my PTFE liners failed I replaced all the throats with the microswiss and have not looked back. Now the only thing that seems to happen is a bearing will go out once and a while.

David Walling
    Participant

I have the MK8 on mine now. I thought the Micro-swiss throat was for the MK10?

If there’s one for the MK8 that is all-metal, then that would pique my interest.

Ryan
    Keymaster

David Walling
    Participant

Thanks. I found it a few minutes after posting my update.

I have some new cables coming in now. I remembered that the last time this happened it was just a broken stepper cable. If everything still works after replacing the cable, then I’ll look at getting the new hotend.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Make sure to secure the cables to the moving X carriage in some way or you will burn through a bunch of things that way. I had an extruder stepper die the same exact way, a single zip tie later and no failures since.

David Walling
    Participant

I got the printer running again last night. During troubleshooting I kept replacing drivers only to finally remember I configured the firmware to only allow the extruder to turn if the hotend was on… Doh.

I’m pretty sure the problem was the cable. Luckily the new cables are longer than the old one, so I’ll be able to wrap it in the cable wrap that the rest of the cables are in.

I ordered the all-metal hotend for the MK8. Can’t wait to play with some of the other filaments.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.