What Spindle for us europeans

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC What Spindle for us europeans

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jens Jens 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jens
    Jens
    Participant

Hey!

I just ordered all the parts for the mpcnc yesterday, and am now in the need to decide, what spindle to use. At first I thought about just putting my Dremel to it, but it seems, that this is not the best option.
    Import Spindles, like the one linked on the specifications tab seem to got for 120€+, if I don’t buy them directly in china. The Kress 530 is around 140€ here, so I would prefere that over the imported one.

My main question is: Is the 530W spindle enough? The 1050 is at around 190€, the 800 at around 170€. When 530W is enough, I save the money, if its the limit, I am willing to spend alittle more.

Any options?

Thanks, Jens

Profile photo of Erik
    Erik
    Participant

I bought a Makita RT0700C for €135,- (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B007NZHNX2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_W9XMybWZDWE04)
    You can see (and hear!) it in action: https://goo.gl/photos/DJf4XHNopkzHX2qn6
    I’m sure I can get much faster, but I “finished” my mpcnc just this weekend and this was my second thing I milled.
    Good side effect of the Makita, you can also use it as a normal router.

/erik

Profile photo of KronBjorn
    KronBjorn
    Participant

The reason I spent a little more to get the 1050, is that it has computer controlled speed, and it can mill a lot slower than the smaller versions.
    I do not know if that was a wise decision, I am just learning about this stuff,…

I haven’t regretted it so far. Very nice build quality.

Profile photo of Jens
    Jens
    Participant

Thanks for the input! I like the Makita approach. That way I have a reason to finally buy a handheld machine for some rougher woodwork!

Profile photo of Dennis Wright
    Dennis Wright
    Participant

I’m in the UK so still in Europe, just!
    I have the makita Rt0700CX4 and getting used to it, happy so far but be aware mine came with 1/4″ and 3/8″ collets and I had to order separately 6 and 8mm collets but note they do not supply 1/8″ or 3mm collets so that will limit your choice of bits.
    I spent a merry Wednesday playing with an old fashioned lathe and milling machine making a 1/8″ collet and now I’m waiting for some 1/8″ bits to arrive to see if it works. If it does I will publish the drawing with dimensions.

Dennis

Profile photo of Jens
    Jens
    Participant

When I order it in germany, I would think, they put in metric collets instead of imperial ones. On the 1/8″ version you are right. Found that out yesterday too 🙁 Would be great, if you have something available, so I find someone with the right machines, so I can build one my own.

Profile photo of Erik
    Erik
    Participant

My Makita (bought in Germany) was delivered with 6mm and 8mm collets. But I think you can buy one of these http://cnc-plus.de/en/Collets—Clamping-Nuts/6-0mm-Reducing-Collets–Adapter-Collets-for-Spindle-Motors-.html to reduce the diameter e.g. to 1/8″.

Profile photo of Jens
    Jens
    Participant

I just ordered mine. I ordered the CX2 Version, with all the extra stuff to use it as hand-device. Description is talking about a 6mm and a 8mm collet.
    Thanks for the tip, Erik, bookmarked that!

Profile photo of Erik
    Erik
    Participant
    Profile photo of Jens
    Jens
    Participant

Yeah, I am using 1/8″ bits too and it is working great!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.