Which spindle/router is everyone using?

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Which spindle/router is everyone using?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Derek P 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Roger S
    Participant

Hey guys,

New here. Still waiting for some parts before I can begin assembly. It will be my first MPCNC build. I’m really excited about it.

In the mean time I’ve been reading and studying a bunch. It looks like most people go with the DeWalt 660 and I’ve seen a few with the other spindle. Anyone have any experience with anything else? Anything quieter? Anything they’ve liked better?

I was looking at this Makita. It’s about a pound lighter and similar in specs. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I6NNAA/ref=psdc_552862_t4_B000051WQX

Is there anything that works with variable speeds? I saw this one on Amazon which seems like it may work. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CTGQEQC/ref=psdc_552862_t2_B00169VA9O And I’ve read people like this one on other CNCs, but I’m not sure something like this is possible on the MPCNC. https://www.amazon.com/Makita-RT0701C-1-1-Compact-Router/dp/B00E7D3V4S/

Just looking for some feedback as it’s the last piece I’ll be picking up.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The makita has a dust shoe that is a plus, but it is almost twice the price. You would also probably need to make a mount for it. I chose the 660 for the price and small diameter. The makita looks like a decent option if you can’t get the 660.

David Walling
    Participant

The ability to use a 3/8″ collet would be nice. There’s some end mills I’d like to get that only seem to come in the larger collet sizes.

I went with the DW660. I removed the quick chuck off the end of it so it’s just the bare spindle.

I looked long and hard at some of the 550W spindles on Amazon. They’re supposed to be pretty quiet. I know I typically shut the garage door to try and keep from pissing off the neighbors when I have the machine running.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

It’s frequently pointed out about the noise, the shop vac is probably louder anyway. I use ear protection just for the shop vac, so I don’t mind the noise of the router. My toddler sleeps through it, but he slept through a fire alarm at daycare once, so maybe that’s not the best metric.

Barry
    Participant

I have a 500watt spindle that I’m still waffling on swapping back to the dewalt 660. The spindle is really just an electric motor with a collet holder bolted on. Because of the collet holder, it has a really long shank. This acts like a lever, even with the spindle mounted as high as I can get it, I still have issues. I do like the quietness of the spindle though.

Michael P. Caputo
    Participant

I’m a newbie here and this is my first question/post so be gentle.. 🙂

I have a Craftsman 183-17252 All-in-one cutting tool. The specs are: 5 Amp, 20,000 & 30,000 RPM modes, 3/4hp, 1.7kg/3.75lbs. It takes 1/8″ and 1/4″ collets. Will this work on the CNC?

Ryan
    Keymaster

looks similar enough, you will need to find/make a mount.

Double check how bad the runnout is, these type of tools don’t usually focus on that so some are pretty poor.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Michael P. Caputo
    Participant

That was my next question, how do all these tools mount to the mounting plate?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I’m not clear on what you are asking.

Using a 3d printed mount for your specific tool it usually gets clamped onto the tool, and then screwed into the tool mount plate with a few more screws.

Roger S
    Participant

I just went and picked up the larger Makita https://www.amazon.com/Makita-RT0701C-1-1-Compact-Router/dp/B00E7D3V4S/ after chatting with a friend who told me how much he loves his. I was able to find others who have used it on the MPCNC along with some mounts so I’m excited to get building. I am getting my printed parts tonight and everything else should be here by Wednesday.

Derek P
    Participant

The Makita is great, I’m sure you will enjoy it.

Derek

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.