Why a printed coupling?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ramajac 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

ramajac
    Participant

Just asking why to use a printed coupling, instead an aluminium one. The diameters needed are pretty common, at least here in EU. And also I have some replacement couplings with this size from other machines I built before.

Has the printed one something especial? Is just to save buying another part? So the machine is “more mostly printed” šŸ˜› ?? Or am I missing something important about the coupling??

Thanks in advice!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Trick question.

Any coupler will work fine if you pay attention to its loading. If you use one of the standard 3D printer couplers you are putting a spring into the z axis system and introducing a great amount of backlash/slop. I have designed it so you can minimize this with the 2 piece mount. That being said my printed one is also a good place to be able to make z axis adjustments. It is a coupler and knob all in one.

The other reason I did it is in the US the 5mmto 8mm standard couplers don’t fit a 5/16 rod very well, and a printed one is cheaper.

ramajac
    Participant

Thanks for the answer, I suppoused it had an explanation. Im almost finishing all the prints, and this is just a small one, so I will make it for sure. Also having the more parts printed that I can, freaks me out šŸ™‚

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.