Will I be using LinuxCNC to drive my MPCNC?

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC Will I be using LinuxCNC to drive my MPCNC?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of vicious1 vicious1 1 year ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jon
    Jon
    Participant

Okay, I’ve been getting lost in the forums and following Google trails on LinuxCNC, and I think I must have an incorrect model.

For my 3D printer, my toolchain is:
    Model in FreeCAD -> STL -> Slice in Slic3r -> gcode -> console control in Pronterface -> usb cable (gcode being fed and feedback?) -> Marlin on a RAMPS-alike board -> wires to steppers motors.

For routing with my new MPCNC, I’m anticipating something like:
    2.5D model in Inkscape -> SVG -> inkscape gcode extension -> gcode -> console control in LinuxCNC -> usb cable -> Marlin? on RAMPS -> wires to stepper motors.

However, as I try to chase this down, I’m getting confused. It appears that the dominant mode of LinuxCNC is to directly control steppers, such that the default install is bundled with a live-boot OS, and the hardware recommendations suggest a dedicated non-laptop. I’d sure like to avoid procuring a dedicated control computer, and I’d sure like to avoid carting around a desktop, and I’d really rather not even have to reboot. Is LinuxCNC usable in an “indirect” mode, where it provides a stream of gcode to the Marlin (or other firmware) on the RAMPS, just like pronterface does for the Marlin-on-RAMPS running my 3d printer?

Pointers welcome if I missed the relevant forum page.

Thanks!

Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Keymaster

Run it just like your printer. pronterface or reperier or an LCD controller. There really is no software difference.

Profile photo of Jon
    Jon
    Participant

Wait, so I would use repertier or pronterface even if the tool is a router, not a hot end? <style=”mind:blown”>

So the first thing I should try is:

2.5D model in Inkscape -> SVG -> inkscape gcode extension -> gcode -> console control in Pronterface -> usb cable (gcode being fed and feedback?) -> Marlin on a RAMPS-alike board -> wires to steppers motors.

Huh. Cool. Thanks!

Profile photo of vicious1
    vicious1
    Keymaster

yup

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.