Workshop tour by Barry

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic Workshop tour by Barry

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Barry 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Barry
    Participant

https://goo.gl/photos/is5YhDLnX2ofczEh6

Photospheres of my barn. They don’t work as well in close spaces, but you get the idea.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Nice! I would live in that barn. My favorite is “Sawdust is man glitter”.

I am most jealous of the metal working area and the wood stove (except for the barn in general). My shed is freezing in the winter.

Barry
    Participant

The wood stove isn’t hooked up. It came with the barn, but I still need to figure out where to put it.

Wow, I wish I had that kind of space… Impossible to find anything like that here. That Barn looks awesome, the possibilities are huge… I can only dream of a place like this

Great workshops!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Drool!

Dui I can’t get that here either without a few more zeros on my income….I am very seriously considering a move.

Drool!

Dui I can’t get that here either without a few more zeros on my income….I am very seriously considering a move.

Yeah, me too… Would love to live in some farm in the countryside, but still need to make a living somehow, which is hard in China since most of the foreigner accessible jobs that are decently paid are located in big cities. And big cities like Shanghai are quite expensive, plus you don’t have much space.
    One nice thing in China though is that renting a small factory is pretty cheap, like around 3 cents a months per square meter. But I’m not rich enough to do that, I don’t make money with my hobbies so far, only expenses…

One day when I’ll come back to France, maybe… Farms in the middle of nowhere are pretty cheap there. Plus the food is way better!

Barry
    Participant

I added a few more pictures to the album. I think I’ve posted them here before. My small parts storage “bins”. I don’t cut the holes on the cnc though. It’s much faster to do it with a 4″ hole saw, though I think I need a new blade.

Jeffeb3
    Participant
    One day when I’ll come back to France, maybe… Farms in the middle of nowhere are pretty cheap there. Plus the food is way better!

Sounds like a plan!

One nice thing in China though is that renting a small factory is pretty cheap, like around 3 cents a months per square meter.

Is there much interest in shared spaces, like a makerspace? Get a few other interested parties, maybe ones that are trying to get a business off the ground, share tools, ideas, etc.? By running the place, and fixing things that break, you can charge a membership fee, use the excess for more tools…

Jeffeb3
    Participant
    I added a few more pictures to the album. I think I’ve posted them here before. My small parts storage “bins”. I don’t cut the holes on the cnc though. It’s much faster to do it with a 4″ hole saw, though I think I need a new blade.

I have been saving my yogurt cups for some hardware storage. I was thinking I’d make a really wide drawer for it. Hardware is right after project stuff when it comes to being the biggest clutter problem.

Andy
    Participant

damn it, now i got barn envy. Thanks for sharing though.

David Walling
    Participant

I would love a barn too.

There’s 1 acre lots we could move to here that would give me enough room for a nicer shop, but they are just a bit too far out of the city for the wife. Plus it would add another 10-20 minutes to my commute. Not horrible, but not ideal.

I use the cheap storage containers from Harbor Freight. You can see a stack of them on a shelf in the pictures I just added. Each one has a different type of fastener. Bolts have more than one container due to all the sizes I have.

I was inspired by this picture, I just haven’t built a rack to house mine in yet.

http://blog.harborfreight.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/stackable-organizer-complete-2.jpg

Barry
    Participant

I know a guy with a few of those containers. Don’t drop one! They’ll scatter all over the floor…

We really lucked out with the house and barn. Everything around us is zoned commercial or industrial, so no neighbors. Have an injection molding factory to one side of us, and on the other side is a semi trailer lot. In the summer it’s not bad, but in the winter the lot lights are kind of bright.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.