X axis going only 1 direction

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC X axis going only 1 direction

This topic contains 22 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 5 months ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Nathan Ickes
    Participant

Hi i bought the MPCNC kit about a month ago. I wired the 1.4 ramps to the steppers as shown in the instructions and went to test them. Z axis and Y axis worked great. however when i tried the X axis, the motors only went in one direction when i rotate the knob clockwise and counter clockwise. I tried to switch the wires thinking I got a bad wire connection but when i used the same stepper motors on the Y axis they worked fine. Whatever stepper motor is connected to the X Axis part of the Ramps 1.4 board it only goes 1 direction. Is this a firmware problem or Ramps 1.4 board?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Are you using endstops?
    Stock firmware correct, as in you haven’t edited anything, from mine?

I do test them in both directions before shipping, have you tried using repetier host over usb instead of the lcd?

Nathan Ickes
    Participant

I dont have endstops and no i never edited anything from yours.
    I tried on repetier host and same result.

I remember having this problem once. I think it had to do with the position of the origin.
    Don’t remember clearly how I solved it, it was a while ago…

Nathan Ickes
    Participant

Dang, i just finished everything too 🙁

Bill
    Participant

The board may think you have an end stop that’s triggered.

Nathan Ickes
    Participant

Bill, how do i change that?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Can you upload a picture of your board wired up please.

Bill is right it is acting like the endstop is triggered, but it should not be the issue since it was tested, but still could be.

Another thing to check is look closely at all the pins, the driver connection pins and the pins from the ramps to the arduino, make sure none have missed there hole. Also try with your LCD unplugged.

Just trying to eliminate all the easy variables.

Bill
    Participant

Less likely but still possible is that the default configuration for Repetier-Host has been tweaked to change the end stop from NC to NO or visa versa.

Ryan
    Keymaster

As far as I know that is not possible. Not even in the EEPROM.

Nathan Ickes
    Participant

I just tried doing it with no LCD screen and same result here is a picture of the board

Ryan
    Keymaster

Have you run my test gcode from the getting started page?

Nathan Ickes
    Participant

yes and nothing happens

Ryan
    Keymaster

That gcode is only in the positive direction. Do you get errors when connecting to repetier host?

Nathan Ickes
    Participant

No when i uploaded the file to Repetier Host and exported to .gcode everything worked fine. then when i selected it on my LCD screen nothing happened

Ryan
    Keymaster

You can’t really do it that way. You can load the file into repetier host and run it from there, or you can put the file directly from the computer into the SD card, then put the SD card back in the lcd and run it that way. Transfer over those serial cables is a very bad idea.

What you are seeing is the file is probably still transferring it can take several hours and usually fails.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Troubleshooting.

1-You said you have swapped the axis (steppers and wires). Meaning you have seen all your motors move fine, correct?
    2-This means, driver, ramps, mega, control, or firmware. We can usually rule out firmware. So step two would be to power it off completely, swap the X and Y drivers. Power it back up. Did the problem stay in the first port of the ramps board or did it follow the driver?

Nathan Ickes
    Participant

The problem stayed with the port (X-Axis) when i swapped the drivers

Ryan
    Keymaster

okay, progress. Let me get this order packed and to the post office.

Could you upload close picture directly over the endstop ports, top and bottom of the ramps shield, you will need to take the boards apart. and maybe the ramps board in about the same spot. I am looking for the x endstop pin and to see if there are any obvious issues.

I will take a look as soon as I get back.

If there is nothing obvious we can swap it out. Thanks for being patient.

Nathan Ickes
    Participant

I am not sure where the endstop ports are located so i took multiple pictures.
    Thank you for all the help btw i really appreciate it.

Ryan
    Keymaster

In the picture ending in 759, the board is labeled endstops on the edge. the first pin closest to the “S” on the board is the one that controls the X Minimum endstop signal. Can you get a shot of the bottom of the red board in that same spot, you need to remove the Arduino mega.

Nathan Ickes
    Participant

Here is the bottom of the red board

Ryan
    Keymaster

I can’t see the pins. The board says endstops on it. I need a picture of the underside of that. And the Arduino, both sides straight on. All the pictures should be from straight on, angles don’t work.

I just think something obvious had to happen as this was not an issue when it left here. I am looking for damage or a fleck of solder in the wrong place. Sending it back is a bummer. The last 2 boards that came back did not even have any issues and got sent right back out. I want to be thorough. So I want to inspect the boards then we will check the software side of things.

I suggest trying to unplug the LCD header again, the small board at the end of the ramps. Uninstall and reinstall repetier host. We can do some easy test in there, but I need to rule out the LCD, the LCD cables, and the LCD header as well so disconnect them and leave them off.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.