Most of the marlin devs are using PlatformIO instead of arduino now – so in the 2.0 branch especially things are breaking on Arduino and not getting patched up right away. At least until they officially release 2.0 it’s probably best to use PlatformIO to build it instead of Arduino – or be ready for issues.
The long filename issue one they’re…[Read more]
Along somewhat similar lines…some work in progress on something for Marlin:
Basically allows more direct access to the steppers and using an external planner instead of letting Marlin do all of the work. The guy working on it has been busy the past few months but recently indicated he hasn’t…[Read more]
Yeah, I have a background in photography and graphic design (even though I work day to day as a sysadmin/coder) and can think of a LOT of things I could do to improve the results.
But I didn’t have time to open an image editor and do any of them so I just picked a few things that looked like they may have decent enough subject matter that it…[Read more]
Actually…I guess with color it’s possible to kind of see how it relates to the original:
I tried varying the T “Threshold to create a new stroke” by dropping it from the default 10 down to 5 and then again to 2…but both only resulted in one additional stroke so no not much more detail. I also tried increasing it to 15 and d…[Read more]
I gave it a go last night….first image I sent through it was apparently too complex/muddled as the resulting gcode looks like spaghetti 😀 I need to find a more appropriate image to test it with.
One little thing I ran into is that PIL is apparently no longer supported, but pillow seems to work as a replacement (then again maybe that’s why I…[Read more]
I originally built mine as 24″x24″ on a single piece of 3/4″ particleboard with no other support. This was just a “test build” before I expanded it to my final size of 34″x48″ so I could easily fit 20″x30″ sheets of foam board.
I REALLY liked it as a 24″x24″ machine. I built it on our dining room table, so I had to move it every night for d…[Read more]
2.0 is a big improvement IMHO – the flat file structure of 1.x drives me crazy…but like so many projects was forced on them by arduino limitations for a long time.
That said…the ifdefs in marlin are totally driving me crazy right now. I’m trying to get 2.0 going on the archim I won from Ryan – I’ve got it most of the way there. The one p…[Read more]
Looks like Marlin is going to be getting multiple coordinate systems:
There’s still the queuing to contend with…but that’s one of the big things Marlin lacks for Milling now coming into play. So that’s nice to see.
I keep hoping something MPCNC will show up in Make…I’ve been a subscriber since they announced Make but honestly the last year or two I’ve been thinking about letting my subscription lapse. Just seems like they’re losing their focus and more and more focusing on things you can buy as a maker instead of things you can make 🙁
I suspect that…[Read more]
Searching for “line art” or “line art svg” or “vector line art” along with what you’d like images of will usually find stuff.
There are also some things on thingiverse – search for “laser” or “plotter” or “cnc” and you may find some interesting projects.
There’s also openbuilds – their projects section: https://openbuilds.com/projects/
And I…[Read more]
Hmm, I wonder if that’s what happened on my drag knife test. It was when it went to do a curved corner that it crashed. I keep forgetting to look at the gcode and see what it was trying to do at that point….
I love estlcam…but I still use the jtech inkscape plugin for the laser. Just seems “easier” for me that way and I’m happy with the results it gives.
Be sure to try some air assist, you’ll be amazed at how much even a little bit of air does to clean up the cut quality and improve the penetration!
I used GRBL on my first little test machine I built a few years back out of some DVD/CD drive components. My biggest complaint were the various gcode senders all seemed flaky and unreliable. Though that was a few years ago and I didn’t find bCNC so things may have improved on that front.
That said, the reasons I run Marlin on my MPCNC are:
I honestly don’t have any particular approach in mind…not even sure if I’ll actually pursue it or not. I’ve kind of got a backlog of planes I’ve cut but haven’t actually built yet and some I’ve built but haven’t finished wiring…and now that the weather is getting nicer here I’m itching to get some of them in the air.
So…don’t wait on me t…[Read more]
I would guess oscillation mostly helps when the blade starts to get dull. With a fresh sharp knife just dragging it works very well – but as it gets dull sometimes a bit of sawing motion starts to help.
So I’d assume the oscillation is more a “backup” so you don’t have a big job go south if the blade gets dull partway through. That and h…[Read more]
I’d expect the TOCK to be faster. The needle isn’t super fast…but I’m not in a big hurry 😉
A couple people have tried speeding up the needle to use it in production work but haven’t had much success. I currently run mine at about 9k RPM on the needle and 15mm/s feedrate. That lets me cut an average 20″x30″ sheet of foam in about 15 min…[Read more]
I wondered if one of those pumps would work…and how loud the were 😀
I’ve used my main air compressor rigged through an airbrush line and inflation nozzle to provide air assist on my 2.8w laser:
Not sure what kind of pressure I’m using though since I throttle it with that little valve. It definitely makes a HUGE difference in both cutting…[Read more]
Yeah, posterboard is just cardstock. It’s not hard to cut…just not happy with the performance of the drag knife overall. The slop between the 8mm screw and the bearings is the biggest issue…that and generating proper gcode.
That TOCK is pretty crazy. The extra axis to rotate the knife is pretty nuts…I see he included something for ge…[Read more]
- Load More